Assus Wifi Mesh
Ethernet connection from router to Mac Mini
Music folder is on a 2TB portable HDD connected directly to Mac Mini USB

Connected Audio Devices

Various end points including Sonos (wifi), Squeezebox (ethernet), Apple TV,

Number of Tracks in Library

About 30,00 tracks

Description of Issue

I have just purchased a new Mini to use as a new Roon core. My iMac just died. Everything else is the same as it was with my old iMac. (Routers, end points etc)
Roon finds and lists my music folder but no music is added.
No devices are being discovered either. Not even the core mac Mini! It used to find all my Sonos, SB and Apple devices no problem.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled the Roon software and rebooted everything.

Last week I installed Roon on my wife’s older MacBook as a stop gap while waiting on the Mini…no problems at all. I have since taken it off that computer.

Thanks for then help. I’m sure its just one silly thing I’m missing!

@support

Spinning wheels … just keep spinning!
I have loaded the software 4 times. Rebooted everything multiple times. All I get is spinning wheels.
Its like there is no core.

Hi @Ray_Masters,

In Roon’s Settings, the option “Find Roon OS” looks for devices that are running Roon OS (this is Roon’s operating system, not to be conflated with Roon Core the music application) … typically devices running Roon OS are Roon’s Nucleus and NUC’s running ROCK. I don’t believe you are running either of these on your network hence there is nothing to discover / configure here.

This tells me that the Roon Core is running on your Mac Mini, so that’s not the problem.

I can see that screen shot you posted is just blank. Is there a firewall running on the Mac Mini?
If so as a test try disabling it.

The screen shots you posted suggest Roon Core is running.
When you start the Roon app on the iPad what do you see? Can you post a screen shot.

Do you have a Roon DB backup?
If so after you installed the Roon Core on the Mac Mini, did you restore a recent Roon Database Backup?
If not then the Roon Core will need setting up from scratch, as it will know nothing about how you had it setup on the iMac. This may explain why it is not finding your music files, the Roon watched folder may not be setup yet.

Post your findings / observations / screen shots … that will help to identify where the issue lies.

PS Could you confirm how you installed Roon on the Mac Mini?
(I’m assuming downloaded from Roon Website and installed, rather than from an Apple Time Capsule backup, the later will not work correctly and I just want to rule that out).

First off…Carl…big mahalo for all your help.

I will get back to you with answers and observations from you insights.

Aloha!

I have turned off the Firewall.
No change.

This is the opening screen from my iPad

I cannot find a viable Roon backup unfortunately.
(My iMac was the original Roon server and it died a few weeks ago. I had the data taken off and put onto a SSD) I reinstated my new Mac Mini from a Time Machine backup but not everything came over and i did not transfer the apps…just data and system stuff)

I did instal it on my wife’s MacBook pro old model with no problem at all.

I did a new download from the site and installed from that to my Mini.

So how do I “set up” the watched folders? I normally just point to them from the storage page with no issues at all. never needed to set anything up in the past.

So here are the latest screen shots from the moment I open the app on the mini…

Hello @Ray_Masters ,

Can you please use these instructions to access your Roon logs on the affected device (under ~Library on Mac) and upload the logs here?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Roon is saved under the ~Library folder path, do you know if Time Machine restored your ~Library contents? If so, it is likley that Roon was not restored properly (from our Backup documentation):

Other backup applications

Because the Roon database is frequently being updated in the background with new metadata, cover art, artist information, and more, backing up your “live” Roon database using external programs can result in corrupt backups. We strongly recommend against using Time Machine, Crashplan, Backblaze, or other backup applications to backup your “live” Roon database. If you would like to use any of these applications to back up Roon, set up a Scheduled Backup and tell your backup program to backup the RoonBackups folder.

While logs can help determine the issue, if you don’t have any Roon backups at all, the simplest solution may be to reinstall the database fresh, and you can do this by using the following instructions:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on the fresh database
2 Likes

Hello @noris
I love you man!!!
Its back …big mahalo!
Just rebuilding the music db right now. Will test all the rest when done.
Found all my devices too.
Thank you so much mate.
Aloha.
Ray

2 Likes

@noris.
Given the problems using Time Machine backups…where and how do you suggest backing up the folder?

Hey @Ray_Masters,

It’s so great to see you collaborate with Noris and reach a resolution! We’re delighted and celebrating with you :partying_face:

We love seeing our users interested in backing up Roon :nerd_face: . In terms of location, this can be on your local machine (your Roon Core), but also on a different location: Dropbox, an external drive, a USB, a network share to a NAS / computer, etc. The idea is that, should the Core fail, you have your Roon database available in a different location as well.

In terms of strategy, everyone tailors their own, but here is a good place to start:

• A monthly backup that I keep 12 of, meaning I effectively have backups that date back an entire year
  • A weekly backup that I keep 4 of, meaning I have a months worth of more frequent backups

You can also use the community as a resource and see what our other subscribers do when it comes to backups.

More details can be found in our Backup article.

2 Likes

Mahalo @beka
I will read up and get it sorted.
Meanwhile Roon is running fine again!
Aloha!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.