Cannot play 2.0 FLAC files that are DTS encoded [Planned with MQA]

Just discovered that now I cannot play my 2.0 FLAC files that were DTS encoded via my receiver. In 1.2 they played as 5.1 DTS fine, now they just produce noise.

Any idea if this can be rectified ?

@Jaap74 : I think that your DTS files will play fine AND in multichannel, if you set Roon’s channel layout to 2.0 (temporarily). Could you check that ?

If so, then I believe that Roon performs some channel mapping on your file.
But this is problematic on a DTS-encoded file : if you make any digital modification, the DTS encoding will break/not comply to the standard anymore.
The result is pink noise. This even happens when you turn down the volume with any software : a dts file will output noise only, once you digitally modify it.

I’m not sure if it’s possible for Roon. But in order to make that work, it should detect DTS encodings, and passthrough unmodified bitstreams for those files to your output.
That would also mean : volume control, DSP, channel mapping, resampling etc can NOT be allowed on such files…

1 Like

We probably won’t add a feature that handles DTS specially immediately–there is some more pressing stuff at hand related to the recent release. It is something we could solve. We will need to do something similar for MQA, so maybe this work can fit in with that.

OK no rush on this, I understand there are more important things to look at right now.

Do you think it will be technically feasible to get DTS FLAC to play direct and ignore the 5.1 channel mapping ? In the DTS encoded FLAC what is actually different to a normal FLAC file ?

Thanks

Yeah, I think it’s technically feasible.

The DTS flac is a normal 2ch FLAC file, but if you played it on a normal PCM system, it will sound like noise because there’s no decoder.

What you’re seeing right now is that Roon is treating it exactly like any other stereo file–which means we’re channel-mapping it onto your configured speaker layout (and sending silence to the unused channels), which is enough to stop your receiver from recognizing/decoding it.

Thanks for your reply Brian

Hi Brian,

Is this being looked at any longer ? I still can’t play my 5.1 DTS FLAC’s when I have my Roon setup as 5.1 rather than 2.0.

Thanks

Yeah, this feature is planned and mostly designed.

It will be implemented at the same time as when we integrate MQA–since people with MQA capable DACs who want to bitstream MQA to the DAC will require the same mechanism for detecting bitstreams then turning off processing/channel maps. There will be shared infrastructure for this.

I don’t have a timeline for this yet–MQA is our top priority, but with two companies involved, it’s not possible to pin a date down with confidence.

1 Like

Shifted thread from Support to Feature Requests to assist searching and discussion.

Great, thanks Brian

Hi @brian,

I am not home so cannot test but as channel mapping was changed in the latest release does this affect DTS encoded FLAC at all ?

Cheers

Ok just got home and indeed my DTS encoded flats are playing properly, happy days !

Must be why I coincidentally upgraded to lifetime membership yesterday !