Cannot play DSD files from Bryston BDP-3

Hi - I truly love ROON, but having some difficulties since adding a Bryston BDP-3 server to my set up.

2 issues since installing my Bryston BDP-3.

1 - I can no longer play and DSD files. When I attempt to - there is no sound. The signal path in ROON looks fine: it shows “Lossless” and is showing a path from source to Bryston to USB Output. Strangely, my McIntosh PreAmp/DAC displays that the DSD file playing is 176.4 kHz (again - with no sound.)

2 - Whenever I attempt to switch audio files to a different file size, I hear a loud pop right before the first track on the new file plays. For example - if I switch from a 24/48 file to a 24/96 file, the pop occurs. If I continue to play a file of the same size as the previous one, however, then no pop occurs.

The UI on the web-interface of the Bryston isnt great - so I am hopeful I just have a setting issue either w the Bryston or my ROON settings.

Any help greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Set up:
Mac mini running ROON core > Bryston BDP-3 (via USB) > McIntosh C2600 PreAmp/DAC (via USB)

Hi @MJ_Hoffman ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us the insight is greatly appreciated. My apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing with the BDP-3 + C2600 endpoint may I very kindly ask you for the following information:

• Before you introduced the BDP-3 into the “chain” how was the McIntosh performing on it’s own? We have seen reports in the past of popping during sample rate changes with McIntosh products before in the past so I am curious if that behavior was present before the BDP-3.

• I would also like to point out that the BDP-3 is not yet certified by Roon yet and additional testing is currently taking place in our QA lab. While I can not comment on when certification of the BDP-3 will be completed, I would recommend keeping an eye on the 'Bryston thread" for future updates. The reason I am pointing this out is this could be why you are hearing silence during DSD playback.

• Eric

Thanks for the reply, Eric.

So I swapped out the Bryston (didnt realize that it wasn’t certified yet) and replaced it in the chain with a Sonore Rendu.

DSD files are just fine now - BUT you are right about the popping. This has been a persistent problem with my McIntosh DAC.

Is there a setting (volume? delay sync?) that can help correct this?

1 Like

Hi @MJ_Hoffman ---- Thank you for touching base with me and taking the time to provide the requested information, both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, in regard to the “popping” being heard with the C2600 I am going check with our hardware team for some feedback on that behavior but in the mean time can you confirm for me if you have tried testing with our “resync delay” feature enabled while using the C2600? If you have indeed, what was the experience like?

-Eric

Hi Eric - I adjusted the resync to 500ms an that seems to significantly lessened the problem. Of course, now I have a new one!

When I switch to a DSD file - I get a slight fadein delay that cuts off the beginning ofd the first track. Maybe 1-2 secs worth.