Cannot play DSD256, with "native DSD" option on

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Innuos Zenith MK2.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wired network.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Auralic Aries + Vega G2 + Auralic L-link

Description Of Issue
The DSD256 / 128 file plays only several seconds and then skips to next song, and then the same phenomenon happens.

The processing speed is very low ~ only 0.1-0.2x

Does it mean the CPU of Innuos is not fast enough?

Yes. it appears as though Innuos can not run Core and do major upsampling.

One needs to have a processing speed of al least 1.0X.

It looks as though, the N4200 Pentium chip just doesn’t have the juice.

However, there is forum controversy about this.

The N4200 is a rough equivalent to the i3 6100U in terms of its overall performance but it lacks in a couple of key areas important to Roon such as single core performance and processor speed. In terms of grinding its way through work the i3 is simply better.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-N4200-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100U

You can try parallelise sigma delta modulation in Roon to see if that helps, but DSD upsampling is very demanding so don’t expect too much, especially for DSD256.

Hi,

Indeed if you want to do DSD upsampling, a ZENith Mk2 will only upsample up to DSD64. The Mk3 as a slightly more powerful CPU that will upsample to DSD128. You can find this described here:

http://www.innuos.com/en/go/installing-roon

In our testing in the systems we have, we always found that the benefit of upsampling to DSD was overshadowed by the noise added to the output due to the CPU processing. Check if your DAC does indeed benefit from DSD upsampling - some DAC will convert internally to PCM anyway while other convert everything to DSD anyway. Upsampling to PCM is a lot lighter and in general we have managed better results in doing so. This can obviously vary from system to system (and ear to ear) so in the end you’ll be the judge of that. Just sharing our experience :slight_smile:

Nuno

Thank you very much

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.