Cannot set up KEF LS50 Wireless with Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit PC/Roon 1.6 with music on PC hard drive

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

KEF LS50 Wireless connected to PC (core) via USB cable

Sound plays for maybe a minute then stops. Bar sometimes shows music is still ‘playing’ but there’s no sound. Other times the audie zone disappears and Roon says ‘select an audio zone’. I’ve tried connecting from the core via KEF USB or KEF LS50 Wireless and grouping both but the music either keeps ‘playing’ with no sound or the play button stops


have you tried using the system output? Select the KEF as default in windows.

Also is the latest firmware installed?

Thanks, tried the system output. KEF speakers are set as default speakers.

Music still drops out after a while.

Latest KEF firmware.

Is it possible to hook up your system with a Ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference? I gave up on USB cables a few years ago. I also have a pair of LS50W and use the network connection.

That is strange. I’ve been using my LS50W with USB for a while now and I haven’t had any issues like that. maybe you have an issue with your speakers? how long have you had them. you might try hooking up to a different USB port or a different USB bus?
Do they work with other connections Bluetooth, optical, etc?

Thanks, speakers are just two months old. I’ve tried putting the USB cable on different ports but problem persists.

Perhaps Roon will reply?

Is the Firmware up to date for the speakers?

There is also a USB driver download.

I had the same problem with the same symptoms with Roon. Rebooting would sometimes fix it, but not always. Swapping out my 2m usb cable for a shorter cable solved the problem.

It’s a Roon problem, not a USB problem.

The same cable sends music from the PC to the speakers without issue with other music or video software like VLC.

Restarting the PC or Roon solves the problem but it soon returns. The error message ‘Roon lost control of the audio device’ appears often.

Danyal, in your settings photo you show to enabled zones. One with WASAPI, I think this is the one your using and the other is KEF USB Audio. Should the second one or bottom one be the input for your speakers and the WASAPI is actually its true wireless setting? Just trying to trouble shoot.

Thanks, the music skips whichever source I select: KEF USB or KEF wireless or both.

Hi @Danyal_Freeman,

Can you please let me know which firmware version you have listed as running in the KEF Control app for these speakers? Is there any change if you try factory resetting them and then re-configuring them in Roon?

The KEF control app is version 2.5.3 (on iPad).

Can you tell me the correct or optimal setup under settings/audio?

Should i use ‘system output’ or ‘LS50 wireless speaker’ or ‘KEF USB audio’ when the sound goes through the USB cable? Should I disable everything but the USB audio?

Hi @Danyal_Freeman,

The version of the KEF Control app doesn’t indicate what firmware the speakers themselves are running. Please double check to see if you can find the firmware version of the speakers themselves in the KEF Control app, these instructions may help.

Please don’t try to group these zones, you are essentially trying to group the USB output and then Network output for the same device which may be confusing the speaker on which input to switch to.

When you are using the LS50s in USB mode, you would want to select the “KEF USB Audio” output. Using LS50 Wireless would communicate with the KEFs via the network and would be reliant on a stable network setup.

I would disable all un-used outputs in the Settings/Audio tab, reboot your Core + KEFs and start by verifying the behavior on the USB Audio Output as a single zone. If this still does not work, you can try factory resetting the KEFs using these instructions (Bullet point A5).

Doing this seems to have fixed the problem, thanks.

HI @Danyal_Freeman,

Glad to hear that disabling the unused outputs helped! If you experience any further issues do feel free to reach out to use again, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.