Cannot set up Roon on my PC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10/64 bit/Roon build number? No idea. Where do I find it?

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Netgear Nighthawk D7000VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

AURALiC Aries G1

Description Of Issue

When launching Roon from the download I get to the Set Up Your Audio Devices page at which point it becomes unresponsive and I cannot go any further. Help!

More info perhaps needed on your Windows system…specs and hardware like graphics, cpu ram etc will help us help you.

Sorry, I’m a real Luddite when it comes to computers.
Where do I find all of that information? Step by step is best.

Right click on My Computer then properties? Maybe you remember when you bought it - age is sometimes a good indicator of capability. Something older than 6-7 years might struggle. Maybe in Control Panel System too

Sorry I dont have a windows machine running currently to detail the steps.

Have you added any storage location yet? It could be scanning your music already and struggling.

you are looking for info like this

Doesn’t seem to be a My Computer to click on.
From my Control Panel I went to System. That tells me my processor is an Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30Ghz 2.30 GHZ
RAM 8.00 GB
It’s definitely older than 7 years, though not by much.

Yes,I pointed it in the direction of my NAS and have done the log-in to Qobuz. No idea if things are working there or not. Th NAS has about 1.5 TB of music files on it. Could this be the roadblock Should I consider replacing what is an otherwise perfectly serviceable for my need s computer?

any idea how many tracks or albums you have on your NAS? depending on formats 1.5TB could be a lot or maybe not.

the 3rd gen intel cpu’s are at the bottom end of the recommended hardware specs of which the 3610QM fall into. while it might be adequate once scanning is completed it might struggle to keep with with more demanding use. Especially if the PC is being used for other things at the same time. graphics support might also be limited.

if you see the spinning icon in the top right of the roon window (3rd from the right) and click on it this will tell you if scanning is happening. you can also click on Library in the settings to see activity there.

In excess of 40,000 tracks I think. Not certain as to the number of albums.

Would I be better off getting a NUC? Not sure precisely what they are, though I get the impression that they’re possibly a small computer dedicated to a small number of purposes, but I have heard them mentioned in the same conversation as Roon. Must be cheaper than replacing an entire PC, aren’t they?
If that’s an option, what are the specs that I would need to ask for?

one other VERY IMPORTANT thing is how you are connected to the NAS and to the internet. If wifi then things will be extremely slow. Assuming this is a laptop it could be the reason you are having issues.

A Nucleus would be a better option than your current PC for sure, but depending on your PC DIY skills could be a challenge unless you have maybe some geek type friends that could help for a pack of beers or a nice bottle of wine.

if you are in Singapore I would offer some hands on help

So, it’s Wi-Fi all the way for PC the I’m using, not a laptop. Obviously (I assume), the NAS is ethernet connected to the Modem Router. Does this constitute a problem?

Also, the only geeks of my acquaintance are remotely located. One is in Cairns, a member of the R.A.N., who is restricted from traveling due to Coronavirus. The other is on the other side of the country and unlikely to be anywhere near me until at least July.
Given all this, should I cancel the free trial and wait until I have someone who knows their way around the connected world, before trying again?

Ok so where in oz are you based…plenty of PC shops around that could assemble a NUC for you I bet

Wollongong, just south of Sydney.

What would they have to do to the NUC to set it up for Roon?

Well assuming you stick with windows its a pretty easy setup…and one you might be better off with given your technical limitation admissions…BUT back to the wifi issue

can you connect the PC to the LAN/Router ports with a cable…this will help immensely.

40,000 tracks is not a lot nor is double that in context…400K is a whole different ball game but lets get the importing done on a LAN connected PC wifi is your enemy here.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Networking_Best_Practices

This is beginning to get all too hard.
The PC and the LAN/Router are in different parts of the house. Manhandling the PC to the LAN/Router is possible but a lot of hard work for someone who is currently on crutches.
Will try uninstalling and then re-installing, with a re-boot of the computer in the mean time.

A long lan cable can be an option if you can get one locally…otherwise wait a day or 3 while it finishes importing and analysing (analysis can be turned off see image below)…assume the spinner is there and that is what is happening

installing and reinstalling won’t help…just let it finish importing…but wifi for a core is not going to play well…even once its finished…BUT its worth the wait!

If Roon launches but becomes unresponsive at the point it looks out into the network for endpoints could that be a firewall issue? Either way, this isn’t something easily resolved by someone who doesn’t have a good degree of computer literacy.

Will give it another go and see where I end up. If it isn’t resolved by Friday then I will kiss Roon goodbye until one of the two geeks makes it to my place.

1 Like

On the suggestion of my Geek friend on the other side of the country, I downloaded and installed RoonServer and guess what? It’s all up and running and being controlled from my iPhone an iPad. I would have liked to have been able to control what’s happening from my PC but, ultimately, it’s not a major issue.

this could also be infamous (32bit roon solved) option - you should try the 32bit install to use with the roon server. its a know issue with Intel HD graphics drivers. Certainly worth a shot - just select the new server core as the core and you are good to go. As you never got to send the system properties I have no way of knowing what your hardware is.

What did you need to know, in particular?