Cannot stream music to my MBP

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 in a NUC10i7 with 16GB + 1T SSD
Roon version 1.8 (build 783) stable (64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wi-Fi network. Core and MBP connected via Wi-Fi network.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Native audio

Description Of Issue

I have an iPad which is able to connect to the core and to where I can stream music from my library.

I have installed Roon in a Macbook Pro (MBP) with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3. I configured the firewall to let the traffic for Roon to pass.

The problem is that I can use this App as a remote, to control the operation of the Core (e.g., play audio to a dedicated DAC, but I cannot use the MBP Roon app to receive a stream from the Core. There is no audio device available to play in the MBP.

Thanks.

Welcome to the community, @Paulo_Bartolomeu!

Have you enabled the MacBook Pro audio devices under Settings > Audio?

You should see an entry for “This Mac” called System Output and score Audio. The first route sounds through the system mixer and the other gives Roon exclusive control of the Mac’s sound card.

Hi @Martin_Webster, thanks. I could not do that because in my MBP I can only see the Audio devices attached to the Core, as shown below:

I already spent several hours reading posts on multiple solutions for this, but something is wrong and the Roon app cannot operate as Roon Audio Device… only as a remote.

BTW, I read that I should add the RAATServer to my list of trusted Apps, but I cannot select this app in the Firewall, only Roon. I have checked with Activity Monitor that it is running, but I don’t know how to select it because it is not on the macOS Applications folder.

Thanks.

1 Like

I think you should try connecting your Core directly to your network using Ethernet as this can cause similar problems.

Just did. Connected the Core to my local network via Ethernet only. Connected my MBP to the local network via Wi-Fi. Rebooted both devices and launched Roon Core first and then Roon on the MBP. Result: no audio device shows up in the MBP. Only the devices on the Core as before.

As an attempt to do some diagnostics, I uninstalled Roon in the Macbook Pro (MBP) and replaced it with RoonBridge just to check if some audio device was listed in my MPB. No success.

For some unknown reason, audio devices in my MBP do now show up to be selected as outputs. All other devices in my network show correctly (Android smartphone, iPad).

In case you are wondering, yes. I allowed traffic for the RoonBridge in the Firewall (which is active). I also tried to deactivate the Firewall and rebooted. No success.

Thanks for reaching out, @Paulo_Bartolomeu, and apologies for the trouble here!

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? Please send us logs both from the Core and the affected macOS device.

Thanks!

Hi @dylan. Thanks.

The log files can be reached here.

Some info to keep in mind:

• The Core runs on a Windows 10 machine in a MUC10i7 with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD
  • Roon runs on a Macbook Pro (MBP) macOS Big Sur v11.2.3
  • The setup works perfectly with other devices in the network (iPad, Android Smartphone). In this case, their audio devices show up in Roon and can be selected to output music.
  • Only the audio on the MBP is not detected. I even tried an external DAC connected to the MBP, but without luck.
  • The firewall was configured to allow all traffic to Roon.
  • I tried to add the RAATServer to my list of trusted Apps, but I cannot select this app on the Firewall, only Roon because it does not show up in the list of installed Apps.

Thank you for your support.
Cheers

Hi @dylan. Is there any progress regarding my problem? I still cannot use my MPB to stream audio.

Thank you very much!
Paulo

Hi @dylan. I’m halfway of my trial period and still cannot use the software properly. I have no feedback from several days. Is this how customer service works at Roon Labs?

Hi @dylan. I am sad to leave, but there is no other way. This has not been what Roon promises. The lack of feedback is hard to understand.