Cannot use DSP when playing MQA files to the PS Audio DirectStream JR or DirectStream Dac [Known Issue]

apparently 3.6.2 was pulled because of a bug that caused unrelated to this
issues but solved the dsp issue. however they are now working on update to solve this. i will find out tomorrow realistically when that will happen. if its going to be far away off in the distance they have offered
me a refund which i will accept. if it’s going to be in a few weeks i can maintain til then. will have to wait and see…

Hello @late_nighter23,

You may want to try setting the PS Audio DirectStream to “Decoder Only” in the Device Setup page. This setup may allow you to have full MQA decoding when there is no DSP applied, as well as Core Decoding to 24/96 of MQA streams + DSP without causing the DirectStream to freeze up. When you have DSP enabled on an MQA track in this setup, you would be losing the 2nd unfold, which is what unfolds the stream to 24/192 or higher.

-John

interesting @john this does allow me to play the mqa track using dsp but the mqa light showing it is being processed as such on the dac is now not lit. however it is showing that is playing this track at 24/96. ps audio told
me a fix for this particular bug is at least 6 months out. they did offer me a refund so this gives me a lot to think about… however your solution may indeed solve the issue. how should i interpret the fact that the mqa unfold light is not lit on the dac? i am attaching a screen shot using your method as well.

When i turn the dsp off and keep as render only this is the signal path and the green light is now lit on the dac showing mqa authenticated.

its defiantly not doing the full unfold with your method. however it’s not kicking me off the network either.

I have the exact same problem on my Ps Audio Dsd

1 Like

it sucks & there is no solution from them outside if returning it for a refund… it’s a little bit of false advertising on their part. i tried a meridian 218 over the weekend. a 1000$ network dac that could run dsp roon and mqa with zero issues. ps audio says it’s roons fault for changing things without telling them but other dacs/brands don’t seem to have any of these issues. i speculate it’s because ps audio is decoding and rendering mqa using their software code rather than mqa approved hardware that most other dacs are using but i am just guessing.

@eric @john any ideas or are ps audio customers just up the river on this one?

Hi @late_nighter23 ---- Just to give you an update here.

We are going to be reaching out to discuss the above with PS Audio and as soon as I have some feedback for you I will be sure provide an update asap. Your continued patience and understanding are very appreciated.

-Eric

PS audio told me there was no solution and offered
me a refund. If you have a solution i would love to hear it @eric.
They went on to tell me that roon changes the software without telling them
and that is why i am having these issues.

We began contacting partners about MQA several times this year, starting in late 2017 when development work began on our MQA integration.

At that time, we added some minor extensions to the SDK to make it easier for people to implement MQA and RAAT together–basically, we added a message that informed devices in advance when they would be receiving an MQA stream and what “flavor” of MQA (processed or not) they were receiving. Around the same time, we wrote documentation about Roon + MQA and published it to partners. By the end of January, several devices already had working integrations of MQA and RAAT that played nice together.

In May, we released Roon’s MQA support to the public and did another round of messaging to partners to remind people again where the documentation could be found and what had changed. At that time, I pinged our PS Audio contact directly to draw attention to this issue and we never heard back. Other partners were contacted as well, and several product lines were updated over the summer based on those contacts.

In July, a broad communication went out our full Roon ready contact list, reminding about the MQA details again.

In any case–in our view, (and MQA’s opinion, as I understand it) an MQA Full Decoder product that only accepts un-processed MQA streams is a defective implementation of MQA. You are feeling the consequences when using Roon because Roon has a unique feature–the ability to process MQA + send it along.

It’s unfortunate that this is the state of things with PS Audio products today. I hope that they decide to address these issues, but we obviously can’t make any promises on their behalf.

2 Likes

I switched my settings to “no mqa support” and weirdly it is playing the mqa music perfectly now…

i assume doing this just gives you the first unfold. is your Directstream showing
the blue MQA light? This is all very confusing and at this point
Roons argument seems much more believable.

No, the light is white. As you say it’s very confusing.

i ended up returning the ps audio dac because i felt like they
were miss-leading about their connectivity/support of both apple computers and roon and their full unfolding of mqa. they are super nice customer service wise and their dac was by far
the most amazing dac i have heard thus far, but i felt like this sort of bait and
switch marketing was not something i personally wanted to be part of. i was told by ps audio that they did not like apple and seemed very annoyed when i said i used a imac as my roon core. they also told me that roon was at fault for changing the software without alerting them. they told me a “fix” was on the way but would not be coming along for at least 6 months. at this point mqa is unattainable for me, and i have given up on it in part due
to the impending release of qobuz.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.