Can't access ROCK admin after DNS change

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Can’t give precise details as I can’t see the ROCK

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Huawei B535 Router, Netgear GS608 switch - connected via ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

N/A

Description Of Issue

Because I have a rubbish router that doesn’t allow me to put in my own DNS servers, I thought I’d manually change them on the ROCK admin page but now I can’t see the ROCK either via rock.local or by inputting the actual IP address. Any idea how to get around this?

Directly entering an IP address doesn’t have anything to do with DNS, so I’m not sure that’s your problem; it may just have moved to a new IP address. Use a network scanner, or check your router, to find the device IP address, and try that. Otherwise, you may have to reinstall Rock.

I previously had the ROCK on dynamic DHCP since I have the router allocating it a fixed IP address. All I did was change the screen to fixed (which preserved the same IP) and changed DNS. However I can’t see it on the network and it doesn’t appear to be connected to the router, according to the router admin.

When you assigned a new static IP address to the ROCK server did you choose an address that was outside of the current DHCP range? If not then it is possible you are getting an IP address conflict and something else has the address you are trying to assign. As MJB said, if you cannot access directly via the IP address this is not a DNS issue it’s something network related. Does restarting the ROCK server make any difference? Use a network scanner like Fing to see what’s assigned to what on your network.

Thanks for your replies, guys. I worked out what happened after connecting a HDMI port to the NUC…

When I changed the DNS server on the static IP section I hadn’t noticed that the IP address in there (from the last time I had set a static IP on the ROCK) was a completely different range to what is now (different router).

So I ended up reinstalling ROCK. That was pretty quick and painless, but what wasn’t so much was restoring the backup because they were in Dropbox: fine for a cloud backup but not so great to restore directly from there. So I had to download the files to my PC, copy to a USB fob (this took an age!) and then was able to restore.

A couple of different lessons learned this afternoon!

1 Like

You might also try getting fing as an app to have around in future sitations. If you had it, you could have run it to see ALL the ip addresses on the network. Then you might have been able to set a different machine to the NUC’s IP range to login and correct it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.