Cant add a path to backup

I have my Core on an an Audiostore music server; all is fine about from Backup. I can backup to Dropbox, but its full. I have tried to backup to other locations, including a USB disk plugged straight into the server, and using old NAS disks plugged into a housing, but no luck.
The problem seems to be that I can’t add the correct path in the backup sub-directory (network share location). I haver tried to identify the correct path using OSX’s finder but copy and paste into the Roon’s backup directory (network share location) does not solve the problem.
Any ideas?

Well, first make sure that the location on the Mac is shared with permissions set for everybody. Then you need to be using SMB. When you add the location in Roon, start with the smb:\[name of the pc].local[name of the share] Also use the login and password for that Mac.

1 Like

I’ll try that … got confused with permissions and computer name. Need a clear head the next time I try, so thanks for spelling it out.

Another solution that works: assign a fixed IP to your file server, and then use that IP address instead of the computer name in the path.

1 Like

Sounds like my best root - thanks

This subjects treats my problem, but I need more explanation.

I have Roon on ROCK on a NUC.

I wish to make a backup on my MAC. But I do not understand the following

What is “name of the PC” what is “name of the share” Where or how do I use login and password for my MAC?

Googled connect to k to Mac share

Hi there.
I am having the same problem.
I tried to follow your instructions, but Roon keep telling "Can not connect to the shared folder: not authorized
I also refer to my email of july 7th with some screenshots

kr

{Moderated: personal email removed from public post}

Hi Jan,

That usually indicates that the share you set up on the PC was not given rights to be see by other programs/users. This FAQ is about setting up a directory on a MAC so that Roon can see and add a music folder, but, setting up the share applies as well to setting one up a backup location. Specifically the part on setting up the share, enabling smb, settting up allowed users, etc.

Who did you email?

My problem is not yet solved. I add some screen shots: the advise of Greg Stratton dated sep '18 - the sharing of Roon backup - the sharing of SMB - and the fault of Roon “invalid path”

Can you help me?[quote=“Rugby, post:9, topic:151740, full:true”]
Hi Jan,

That usually indicates that the share you set up on the PC was not given rights to be see by other programs/users. This FAQ is about setting up a directory on a MAC so that Roon can see and add a music folder, but, setting up the share applies as well to setting one up a backup location. Specifically the part on setting up the share, enabling smb, settting up allowed users, etc.

Who did you email?
[/quote]

<div data-theme-slick="1">

![Schermafbeelding 2022-09-27 om 10.41.01|568x500](upload://5xUlUoPbv0aBCcGuFSux42Pn9k0.png)
![Schermafbeelding 2022-09-27 om 10.40.49|690x483](upload://lasLt4btdeMGgC4iXPtGCTLKEON.jpeg)
![Schermafbeelding 2022-09-27 om 10.39.34|585x500](upload://nACKD9c8d7RHsWbj1plHYJwgH4Y.jpeg)
![Schermafbeelding 2022-09-27 om 10.32.37|690x388](upload://1fxDKhf0O8RQNAcEOKoEuBBCFgm.jpeg)

</div>
  1. Add images

Sorry, those images weren’t uploaded correctly. Please use the method shown here:

I see you’ve now opened a new Support request, with uploaded images. I’ll close this thread, and we’ll continue over at the new thread.