Cant connect to ROCK

ROCK has been working great for the last ten days. Since today I am unable to connect to the Roon core. Neither the iOS-app nor the MacOS-Roon-App are able to establish a connection. Strangely, I am able to access the ROCK-frontend via its IP-Address.

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Wahler ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation with us, both are appreciated.

Moving forward, may I ask you to please provide the following:

1. Can you confirm that you’ve tried power cycling all your equipment (core machine, audio endpoints, router, remotes, etc) and when everything came back online you were still unable to connect.

2. Have you tried reinstalling Roon on either of the mentioned devices, during your troubleshooting of this behavior?

3. If the device that is hosting your Roon core is currently making use of WiFi, have you tried using a hardwired connection to your router?

4. Can you please expand on the description of your current setup as seen here. Please also be sure to provide the details of the devices that are currently having this issue:

“Neither the iOS-app nor the MacOS-Roon-App are able to establish a connection.”

-Eric

1.) I have tried power cycling - no change.
2.) I have reinstalled ROCK - no change. Then I deleted the database and reinstalled the backup - success.
3.) Just Ethernet, no WiFi.
4.) Intel NUC as Roon Core. Raspberry Pi as an endpoint. Control either iOS or MacOS

Hi @Peter_Wahler — Thank you for touching base with me.

I just want to make sure we are on the same page here regarding a few things in your follow up. Please see below.

2.) I have reinstalled ROCK - no change. Then I deleted the database and reinstalled the backup - success.

• When you mentioned that this was a “success” were you referring to the restore process OR are you now able to connect to your core via your remote devices?

**IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING AN ISSUE....**
  1. Have you tried reinstalling Roon on either of the mentioned devices, during your troubleshooting of this behavior?
  • To clarify, I was referring to reinstalling the application on the mentioned devices acting as remotes, i.e “Neither the iOS-app nor the MacOS-Roon-App”. If you are still having an issue, I would suggest giving this a go :thumbsup:
  1. Please also be sure to provide the details of the devices that are currently having this issue.
  • I am looking for the make and model of the remote devices mentioned in your post that are having an issue finding the core. You mentioned: “Neither the iOS-app nor the MacOS-Roon-App are able to establish a connection.”

-Eric

Eric,

after I deleted the database on ROCK and reinstalled the backup, everything was back to normal. I didn’t change anything on my iPhone and my Mac.

-Peter

1 Like

The problem I posted two days ago, occured again. I was unable to connect to my roon core via IPad and IPhone. After deleting the database and reinstalling the backup, everything was OK. It seems like the error occurs always about 24 hours after a backup.

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Wahler — Thank you for the report and my apologies for the continued troubles. Let’s see if we can get this figured out for you.

As suggested in my responses to your initial post, have you tried to reinstall the application (not on the core machine) on your devices acting as Roon remotes (iPad and iPhone)?

Furthermore, may I kindly ask you to please provide the details of your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you’re implementing. These devices would include: router(s), switches, repeaters, extenders, power line adaptors, etc.

I want to have a clear sense of what the chain of communication looks like across your network and what devices are being used to make those connections possible.

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Hi Eric,

I reinstalled all the apps that I use as roon remotes. It did not change anything. I still cannot connect. Before reinstalling the backup I can connect within a couple of seconds.

My network setup is the following:

Ethernet:

• Router: AVM Fritz Box
  • ROCK installed on a Intel NUC
  • Roon bridge installed on a raspberry Pi which is connected to an USB DAC
  • Roon as a remote on an iMac

WiFi:

• Roon Remote on an iPad and on an iPhone

-Peter

Hi @Peter_Wahler ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to provide the requested feedback/perform the proposed test.

Just to make sure that we are on the same page. The router you are implementing (AVM Fritz Box) is the only piece of networking hardware in your setup and all of the mentioned devices under “Ethernet” are currently mounted directly to the unit, correct?

Moving forward, can you confirm for me the exact model Fritz Box router you are using and if you are using a 2.4 or 5.0 ghz connection.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

the router is the only piece of networking hardware in my setup and the ethernet-devices are directly connected to it.

I am operating on 5 GHz. However I don’t think WiFi is an issue, since I also experience the same problem on my Mac, which is connected over Ethernet.

The funny thing is that the roon apps can’t connect, but I can access the Roon-IP-adress with my browser.

The problem always occurs after doing a backup. Do you think it might be a problem that my backup is stored on the same drive like my music?

• Peter

I really doubt it.

Everything you’re describing sounds like something related to the network – when running as a remote, Roon tries a number of different ways to connect to the Core, but we have seen cases where certain routers or switches block traffic that Roon requires to connect.

We can gather some logs here and help with some additional troubleshooting, but there’s something else I should mention: as a team, we’ve noticed that these Frtiz Box devices come up over and over again in our support troubleshooting. From what I can tell, these devices are not widely used internationally outside of a few countries, but they come up over and over again when people are having networking problems.

Like I mentioned, @Eric and our team can help gather more information and help with troubleshooting, but I would really advise you to invest in a decent Wireless AC router, even if your devices tend to use ethernet. I just have to doubt it’s a coincidence these routers come up so often when people are having networking issues.

We’ll figure this out @Peter_Wahler – thanks for your patience!

Eric,

I don’t think there is a networking issue. I started scanning my quite large music collection two days ago from scratch. Everything is fine up til now. I can connect with my mobile devices and my iMac. What I realized is that roon stopped scanning my music collection before I removed the backups for no specific reason.

I’ll keep you updated.

-Peter

@Eric,

My new installation is running for almost 2 weeks and there is new problem. So there is no networking issue. After the latest ROCK update the system is even much faster.

I am thinking about changing my wifi - do you have any experience with Google wifi?

-Peter

Hi @Peter_Wahler ---- Thank you for touching base with me.

I see you mentioned that there is a “new problem” that you are experiencing. Please confirm if this (below) is what you are referencing in your latest and we can start to troubleshoot.

"What I realized is that roon stopped scanning my music collection before I removed the backups for no specific reason. "

Looking forward to hearing from you!
-Eric