Can't connect to Roon Core anymore and roon server stuck in a loop

@dylan I know I’m annoying but … any news?

Hi @Andrea_Tacchetti,

Apologies for the delay here. I’ve been discussing this issue with the team and I wanted to follow up with you with next steps. It looks like Roon is having some trouble extracting data from a certain file (or group of files) and that is likely causing this behavior.

We were hoping you could move any media that was added to the storage location in the past month out of the watched folder. When you do so is there any change?

1 Like

@dylan you’re genius guys! I moved every file modified in july and august 19 but without any changes. So I changed the drive letter for my 4 HDD one by one and I found that the problem is drive G:! Without that drive Roon works perfectly! It’s strange because it’s the oldest drive and I did’nt (voluntarly) make any edit or add any file. Now I can start for holidays with no worries about roon… When I’ll come back I’ll make diagnostics and try to know what’s the problem about that HDD or its’ files.

Thank you again for your support and patience!
Andrea

Hi @Andrea_Tacchetti,

I’m glad things are working for you now with the G: drive removed. Can you confirm how many of your tracks are located in that drive?

Ho Dylan, I’ll be out for a week for holiday. As soon as I’ll come home I’ll be back to you to tell you the exact number of tracks in drive G:. Anyway it’s a 3TB drive completely full of flac 16&25 bit files

Thanks again
andrea

Thanks, @Andrea_Tacchetti. There may be some media on that drive that is causing the issue, so upon your return we can continue to troubleshoot and track down the source of the crashing that’s located on this drive.

I hope you enjoy your holiday!

1 Like

Thank you @dylan!

Hi @Dylan I’m back. I ran some diagnostic tools on the investigated drive but it seems OK. Now I’m running Roon without the "supposed guilty " HDD and it’s all OK. The HDD contains 79735 FLAC, 1028 mp3, 31 m4a, 14.708 jpg, \49 bmp, 86 png, 3 tif, 18 gif. Hope it helps

Thanks

Andrea

@dylan I’ve done another test and the result is very strange. I have a backup HDD (done with robocopy) for the indicted g: drive. Last backup was done some time ago because the G: is full and I didn’t make any voluntary changes on it. So given the fact that this backup drive is an an exact copy of G: before the problems with Roon I plugged the backup HDD with an external USB box and I renamed it as G:. I expected Roon to work again but after recognizing the “new G:” drive and scanning the issue came back again. I rechanged drive letter and Roon worked fine again
Hope it helps!
Bye
Andrea

Thanks for the additional details here, @Andrea_Tacchetti!

Can you confirm if you have the album Pale by Toad the Wet Sprocket on the drive that seems to be the issue? We have traced similar behavior to an issue involving this album. If you do have this album, can you try moving it out of the Roon watched folder and let us know if this changes things?

@dylan I confirm that the album Pale is in “supected” drive. I moved it out of watched folder but unfortunately the issue is stll there…

Hi @Andrea_Tacchetti,

Thanks for confirming that, and for your ongoing patience here. The team has received a database that is exhibiting similar issues from another customer and is currently investigating this further. As soon as they have more info I’ll be sure to reach out.

Thanks!

Hi @Andrea_Tacchetti,

It seems as though there may be more than one album by Toad The Wet Sprocket that seems to be causing issues. Another user experiencing the same issue removed all albums by this artist and things are now working for them. If you have any other albums by this artist can you give it a try and let us know if it changes anything?

Thanks!

@dylan thank you for the update. I confirm that I have other albums of Toad The Wet Sprocket in suspected drive. I’m far from home until Sunday than I will remove that albums and I’ll give you a feedback

1 Like

@Dylan I removed the Toad TWS following albums from suspected drive (Pale, In light syrup and Five Live) and voilà! Roon now works perfectly. I think that I can survive without them.

Thanks!

Andrea

Hi @Andrea_Tacchetti,

I’m glad things are working for you now, thanks for following up! Our team is currently investigating what may have happened with these albums and I’ll be sure to follow up with you once they’ve concluded their research.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.