Can't Connect to Roon Core with Orbi (Mac) [Resolved]

On my main Roon install:
Operating System: Mac Mini (10.11.3)
Firewall status (type, whether enabled): Tried both enabled and not enabled
Network connection (WiFi/ethernet, IP address): Ethernet and Wifi attempted
Network Status: BlueOs works, Rebooted all, including Switch & Router and Mac Mini hosting Roon Core (IP: .xx) Subnet Mask (xxx.xxx.xxx.0)
Roon Core: Version 1.3 build (262) & Set up to Accept Remote Connections

On my remote Roon install:
Operating System: MacOs Sierra 10.12.4
Firewall status (type, whether enabled): Tried both enabled and not enabled (worked previously with firewall enabled)
Network connection (WiFi/ethernet, IP address): Ethernet and Wifi attempted (IP: 1.xx) Subnet Mask (xxx.xxxx.xxx.0)
I am trying to connect via a iPad pro (10.3.3) and a MacBook Pro (10.12.4)

The new wrinkle is the Orbi router. I could connect with a remote prior to the introduction of the Orbi

Spectrum cable to Spectrum modem (Wifi off)
Spectrum modem Ethernet to Netgear Orbi router
Orbi router to Linksys switch
Linksys switch ethernet to Mac Mini (10.11.3)
Music is stored on a Asustor Nas also connected to the network via ethernet

I am trying to connect via a iPad pro (10.3.3) and a MacBook Pro (10.12.4)
BlueOs sees the core and I can play a selection from there, which I have set up in Roon. Roon will also play to Pulse Flex & Pulse Node II if I send it from the machine with the core running.

Sounds like maybe your wifi and lan addresses are on separate address segments, or perhaps some firewall active or port blocking somewhere

The IP addresses are in the same domain… I have tried both with and without the firewall enabled. I don’t believe the IPad has a firewall.

I meant in your new router there could be something blocking…unless your maybe on the guest wifi

Try to install Fing on the iPad or MBP and see if it can discover the Mac Mini

Good call thanks, I will try Fing tonight. Some how BlueOs can play the Roon song if I set it up on the machine with the core running. I think it has something to do with the router but I have no idea where to start all the domains are similar, and I have given a static IP address to the mini running the Roon core, no love yet.

I downloaded Roon Remote onto my Iphone 6, and it seemed to connect to the core just fine on the same network??? Something weird going on here.

Indeed. What are the IP addresses of the Core, the iPad, and iPhone?

Any static addresses or network settings on the iPad that are different from the iPhone? Mobile data?

All static IPs are in the same domain. Tried with Fing no love… still unable to connect to the core?

I got it!!! The problem was with all the network turmoil… though the remotes were setup I guess they got lost. I did two things, enabled port forwarding to a static Mac mini IP, which didn’t work. I also manned up when asked to select another core (the warning on previous attempts scared me away and I kept stopping there), and continued past the warning, and re-selected my previous core, that allowed the remote to connect

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I hope that I can spare someone in the future my pain.

1 Like