Can't connect to Roon server ... again!

Roon Core Machine

Core Machine: Lenovo Yoga 7i
Windows 11 Home Build 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core is Ethernet connected to home network and NAS.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

This past weekend I was getting messages that one of my Roon devices needed to be updated … it was my Roon server … and instead of first forcing a backup, which I always do, I instead ran Windows update which I hadn’t run in a few weeks at least, and I also ran a system update (I have a Lenovo Yoga 7i as my core) which resulted in a BIOS update (for those of you who remember what BIOS means :wink: ).

The problem being, that having now done those OS updates to my PC, my various Roon clients can no longer find my Roon server (even if I specify the IP address of the server). I’m afraid to de-install/re-install Roon server, as I fear my Roon backup may not be totally up to date. Is there any way to poke the server itself and get a console running there for the Roon application?

Any other ideas?
Help?

I guess one other possibility is that since all of my library comes from only two sources: my NAS and my Tidal favorites, if I start fresh and point Roon to my NAS and to Tidal, can I assume it will import from both appropriately (or, for example, do Tidal favorites only get added to the Roon library if you add them manually through Roon - they won’t import on their own simply 'cause they are Tidal favorites?)

Any help is welcome!

Philip, does your Roon Core start and load your files and database? Can you see and play music on your Roon Core itself? If so, are your firewall permissions set to allow roon.exe and raatserver.exe?

No, and /or if it does I have no way of knowing since the clients won’t find it and there’s no client running on the server itself!
I am mostly 99.9 certain it’s not a firewall issue (based on my prior Roon experience).

Are you running the full Roon application as your Core (which inlcudes the GUI) or just the Windows version of RoonServer? If only RoonServer, it may be worth it to download and install the full Windows application and see if you can run it and restore your database.

1 Like

Thank you for your guidance but you may be missing the point, no doubt because I have explained it poorly
I want to avoid having to resort to my backups as they are not up to date. If I uninstall then install a new Roon version, replete with GUI or just the core server, then I’ve already given up and will need to resort to my backups (which, again, are likely not up to date, hence my questions about Tidal which I’d asked).

I’m hoping I can connect to the existing core first, then force a backup, and then I can do whatever I want (update to the latest Roon server version either full server + GUI or just core server).

I hope that helps explain a bit better.

Hey @Philip_Minasian,

Ben here with the support team, I wanted to check in on this issue to see if you’ve been able to connect to your core?

If not, we’ll need to take a closer look into your account. Please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader? That way, we’ll enable diagnostics on your account to see what might be going on behind the scenes.

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

Hi Ben, thanks, glad someone from support finally responded. The answer is no. That said, I wonder if you could first respond to my initial questions. Since i only use Roon with my NAS and Tidal, what i am wondering is if the ‘favorites/add to library’ items i have added in Roon but from Tidal would appear in my library if i do a complete re-install (which i can do quickly and i am sure will solve the connection to core problem). I note that anything i “add to library” from Roon that’s from Tidal does indeed show up as a Tidal favorite when i go to Tidal native. So if Roon will import all my Tidal favorites into my library, it seems a reinstall will solve my problem almost certainly? Sure, Roon will have lost the data around what i played last or most often, but that is not that important to me.

Hey @Philip_Minasian,

Thanks for letting me know! If you do a complete re-install and do not load the fresh install from a saved backup, you won’t have anything from your previous library saved.

That said, it’s very easy to save a backup (or, perhaps you already have a handful of recent backups) here is more info on this.

Let me know if you have any questions, we’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :raised_hands:

so, I think what you are saying is: if I don’t use any backups, and if I connect to Tidal on a fresh install, that Roon will NOT pull my Tidal favorites into my library? Please confirm that is the case. If it is the case, that’s too bad, it’d be a nice and seemingly obvious feature.
If it is not the case, and i can essentially recreate my Tidal library entries as above, then I really don’t care if I don’t have anything from my previous library saved or not, as I can EASILY reproduce it by simply connecting to tidal and rescanning my NAS.
I hope that made sense.

Philip when you log into Tidal on your new library set-up, it will pull all your favourites into your Room library.

That’s excellent! That makes my need for my backup a lot less pressing!!! So all i should lose are my most frequently played stuff and any NAS library items i may have marked as favorites. that’s great to know. thanks!!

1 Like

Hi Benjamin - ive done as you suggested with the log files. let me know what you find. thanks.
-phil

Hi Ben, as noted in reply to another post of yours, i’ve sent the logs your way. let me know what you find. thanks.

Hey @Philip_Minasian,

Thank you for sending logs over. To confirm, did you complete a fresh install before sending logs, or afterwards? Did reinstalling help at all?

Our team will investigate further and follow up soon :+1:

Hi Ben, the logs are before any new installs. i am waiting to do the de-install/re-install for any insight you may be able to share first on why i can no longer connect. thanks for any help you can offer.
-phil

Hey @Philip_Minasian,

Thanks for sending these over. After reviewing your logs, we’re seeing a handful of errors in relation to your network. Have you gone through the process of rebooting your router and network? If possible, can you provide more details into your network setup?

In situations like this, we suggest simplifying your set-up as much as possible, removing and adding back in each component one by one to verify if your issue persists.

Thanks, Phillip!

Hi Ben
I’ve solved my own problem:

1. I took your advice and reset my entire network- it didn’t seem to make any difference
  2. So then I resorted to an uninstall and I found that Roon’s uninstall via control panel (windows) allows an uninstall without deleting the database, so I used that option
  3. Then — using the same installer .exe as I’d previously had (no update yet) I reinstalled
  4. Presto: Roon connected!!
  5. Then I forced a backup
  6. Then I upgraded

I wish someone at Roon might have suggested the same :slight_smile: about week and a half ago to my original post. But perhaps this (particularly steps 2 and 3) will help others similarly stuck.

Cheers,
-phil

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.