Can't find Roon OS server

Roon Server Machine

Roon version 2.0 build 1357 on all devices
Synology DS620 slim running DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3
Roon running on Macbook Air with Apple M1, Mac OS 14.2.1 and Iphone 13 mini with IOS 17.1.2

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Bouygues Telecom router directly connected to the NAS.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

46205 tracks

Description of Issue

Roon suddenly stops playback, and an indication appears “Searching for Roon server”
When i go to Settings/Find Roon OS, i see the box “searching for Roon OS server” which never ends

You don’t have a RoonOS server so it won’t find it. RoonOS are servers running Roons operating system, Nucleus or home assembled Rock. You running Roon server on Mac or your synology can’t tell which as you don’t say.

If on Mac ensure the Roon server component active and running and it’s allows through your firewall. Roon is now two components on Mac and windows Roon Server and Roon (for remote) both are installed but you need to turn it on the first time you use it and can configure it to start on startup.

1 Like

Many thanks for the reply. Well understood for the Roon OS server. The Roon server on my system is on thseSynology> i’ve turned it off and on again, and restarted the NAS but i still get the message “waiting for Roon server” frequently and playback then either stops or becomes mute (no sound coming out of the NAIM Muso Qb).
Thanks

OK, but how is everything else connected?

The Muso Qb is connected to a hub that is connected to both the NAS and the server, the Roon app on the Macbook is wired to the server and the app on Iphone is on wifi

What kind of hub? An ethernet switch?

Yes it’s an ethernet switch

620Slim uses J3355 processor which is somewhat below what Roon recommends for the server.

Are you applying any DSP to playback?

Might be that at the times you get those playback interruptions the Celeron in your NAS can’t keep up. You oculd open Synologhy’s performance manager and check if there are any CPU usage spikes.

Also, do you have anything else running on the NAS at the same time?

Thanks for the answer, there’s no DSP and the NAS is only used to store the music and for the Roon server. The usage is quite heavy though (often around 70-80%)