Can't get roon to connect

After several weeks of enjoying the Roon through my core iMac and two endpoints,room suddenly failed to connect. I rebooted the iMac but don’t know what else I can do. Any help would be appreciated

Some extra details are always helpful.

Have a look at what details are suggested to be given and you will speed up a solution to your issue.

.sjb

2 Likes

Details are as follows. I am using my iMac as the core and a PS audio direct dream dac and a sonic orbiter as end points. All worked fine until recently.
Now when I open up Roon on the iMac I get a message “select an audio zone” but the only outputs listed are the “system” output and the “built in” output - no PS audio or sonic orbiter. Also the roon app won’t open up on my iPhone

It sounds like it is you network or your sonic orbiter that is the issue.

Can you “see” your sonic orbiter from the imac (I believe you enter a web address to do this)?
When you say the iphone app doesn’t work, what exactly is happening?

As per my link above we can “call” @support whi hopefully can help but I know the next question that will be asked is how your network is set up.

.sjb

1 Like

Hi @warren_kice — Thank you for the report. To help us better evaluate what may be going on here could you please provide me with the following information:

1. An expanded description of your current setup as seen here.

2. A clear description of your network configuration / topology, as well as insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing. I need to understand how your devices are communicating and what tools you are currently using to make those connections possible.

3. Can you please verify that the firmware on your PS audio device is up to date as seen here.

4. You’ve mentioned that the Roon app will not launch on your iPhone. Have you tried reinstalling the application on this device?

5. In your report you commented that all was working fine, “until recently”. Have you made any changes to your setup since you’ve noticed this issue? OS updates? Firmware / driver updates? New gear?

-Eric

Eric, thank you for taking the time to help me with my set up. I’ll try to respond to your questions as follows.
I just had AT&T service come out and connect my 100 Mbps fiber optic Internet router to my three endpoints via Ethernet cable as follows:
PS audio direct stream dac
Sonic orbiter SE and
Nad 7050 DAC amp

I previously was using Wi-Fi on two of them but now they are firmly connected to the router via ethernet cable and my core machine (iMac) recognizes each one. In other words when I go to roon’s "settings " and “audio” all three are recognized
The firmware on my PS audio direct stream dac is up-to-date.
I can play tidal music using my core and directing the music to any of the remote devices.
I am using my Iphone six as a remote device as well as a Dell laptop with windows. I downloaded the latest Roon app for each. However neither has been recognized by roon as a remote device although they were recognized in the previous set up
The New connections from the router to the endpoints via ethernet cable are the only main changes to my set up since I lost my playlists.
I hope this is fully responsive to your request but if you have any other questions please let me know again thanks for your help
Warren

@warren_kice ---- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions.

You mentioned that neither your iPhone 6 or Dell laptop can be recognized as remote devices. Please verify the following for me:

1. In regard to this issue, can your Roon remotes see the core but can’t control it OR do they not connect to the core at all?

If it is indeed the latter (they not connect to the core at all)…

1a) Is “accept connections from remotes” engaged on your iMac running Roon core?
(Roon - > “Settings” - > “Setup”)

1b) If we remove WiFi from the equation and your attach your Dell laptop directly to your router via an ethernet cable can it access the core then?

-Eric

1 Like

Eric, thanks for your message and your interest in my problems with Roon.
both the iPhone and the laptop cannot connect to the roon core. Rather I get the message “room Remote connection. waiting for remote core…”
this is true on on the laptop using wifi and when it is connected to ethernet cable
The settings have been set to “accept connections from remote”
I trust this is fully responsive to your request but if you have any other questions or possible solutions please let me know
the gWesaa,Warren

Hi @warren_kice ---- Thank you for the follow up and answering my questions. A few things…

1. When you tested with the laptop connected to your router via ethernet, was Wifi disengaged on the device?

2. Can you please verify the IP addresses of your core machine, iPhone remote, and laptop remote.

-Eric

Eric I will be glad to send you the IP address is of my iPhone, laptop, and core computer. However shouldn’t I do this on a separate (private) email and not on this topic?

1 Like

@warren_kice — Just sent you a PM :sunglasses:

-Eric

Eric, I cannot find your PM. Where is it?
Warren

Eric, in response to your latest email. I tried to access roon with my laptop with the wi fi disconnected and the ethernet cable connected. Same result- no connection with “…waiting for roon core”

Eric, While waiting for instructions re your PM, I have some thoughts about what when wrong with roon causing me to not be able to connect with my remotes and causing me to loose my playlists (but not the albums, artists and tracks) from my roon library.

All of this started when i tried to reboot roon to enable the core to connect with the remotes. Somehow, I may have pressed the wrong keys, and I got the general website of room labs asking me to sign in which I did. Then the only way I could open up roon was to “try it free”. The roon software thought I was a new customer and opened up a new version of roon without the playlists and without the ability to connect to my remote endpoints. Amazingly this new version of roon had my albums artists and tracks BUT NO PLAYLISTS. Also I could not connect the remote devices.
I tried to access my mac backup usb hard drive to see if I could find the original version of roon but was not able to.
I am awaiting your explanation of PM so I can send you my ip address.
Thanks for your continued help.
Warren

Hi @warren_kice ---- Thank you for the follow up and verifying that information for me (IP Addresses). I will admit that I am in need of some clarification in regard to your latest post in the thread…

"All of this started when i tried to reboot roon to enable the core to connect with the remotes. Somehow, I may have pressed the wrong keys, and I got the general website of room labs asking me to sign in which I did. Then the only way I could open up roon was to “try it free”. The roon software thought I was a new customer and opened up a new version of roon without the playlists and without the ability to connect to my remote endpoints. Amazingly this new version of roon had my albums artists and tracks BUT NO PLAYLISTS. Also I could not connect the remote devices. I tried to access my mac backup usb hard drive to see if I could find the original version of roon but was not able to. "

Did you accidentally re-install Roon completely during this process?

-Eric

Yes I think so.

HI @warren_kice ---- I am in need of some clarification on a few things. As I am reading back through this thread I am seeing some contrasting items and the best way for me to help you figure this out is to understand exactly where you are at currently in terms of Roon and your setup.

1) You believe that you may have accidentally reinstalled the application and are now unable to now access your core (iMac) from your remote devices (iPhone 6 and Dell laptop).

I had asked you in post #5 if you had reinstalled the remote applications on these devices, to which you replied with:

" I am using my Iphone six as a remote device as well as a Dell laptop with windows. I downloaded the latest Roon app for each. "

• Please verify if this installation took place AFTER you had started having this problem where the devices could not connect with your core.

2) In terms of your core machine, can your end points be accessed and streamed to from your iMac? You’ve mentioned the following:

Post #3: “Now when I open up Roon on the iMac I get a message “select an audio zone” but the only outputs listed are the “system” output and the “built in” output - no PS audio or sonic orbiter.”

Then a few posts laster…

Post #6: "I previously was using Wi-Fi on two of them but now they are firmly connected to the router via ethernet cable and my core machine (iMac) recognizes each one. In other words when I go to roon’s “settings " and “audio” all three are recognized (PS audio direct stream dac, Sonic orbiter SE, and Nad 7050 DAC amp).”

• Please clarify

Thanks!
-Eric

Eric, again thank you for taking the time to address my issues.

The installation of the iPhone 6 and the Dell laptop as remote devices took place before I had started having these problems.

I can understand the your confusion regarding the recognition of the three endpoints by the core iMac computer as outlined in post three and six. at the time of post number three the core did not recognize the endpoints. But, after the installation of the ethernet cable as I described, post six was issued indicating that all three endpoints are recognized. That is the case today …I can play music from the core through the endpoints, but I cannot control the playback through the remote devices and I have no playlists. The playlists are extremely important since I spent countless hours putting them together by going through individual albums and picking out select tracks
I trust that this fully answers your questions
Warren

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for all the help.

Eric, I have a suggestion that may aid you in resolving the issues I have with Roon. There Are Remote computer access systems available whereby a person on a computer can access another computer from a remote location.
I would be glad to cooperate with you on this and perhaps you or someone very familiar with an iMac and roon could access my iMac and resolve the issue. Please let me know if you’re interested in doing this
An example of a remote computer access system is screenconnect.com
Warren

Eric I’m still awaiting your response to my above post in which I clarified two issues that you had brought up.
This has gone on long enough and I would like to get it resolved so I can continue using Roon. Please reply with your suggestions as soon as possible