Can't get Roon to recognize track titles on Classical release

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

No. Can’t edit title information in Roon as far as I know. Would be useful.

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

I can’t get the track titles to show up on this release. I’ve tried many variants editing the FLAC Tags but the titles always show as Part I, Part I, Part II, etc.

Mike,

I can’t tell if these were local or streamed files?

If local have you tried looking at the tags in a tag editor like kid3 ?

About tagging multi-part works:

Note: Go to the album editor and scroll down to disable multi-part compositions for the current album if you really want to see track titles instead…

These are local files. I do initial tagging with MusicBrainz and use Yate for manual edits.

Have you tried BlackJack’s suggestion above?

When this happens, to get the correct composition hierarchy with local content you need to set the WORK and PART tags to match the canonical form you can find on allmusic.org:

Both roon and allmusic are using the same Tivo metadata sources and this is why this works. I use mp3tag, a windows editor but I understand that Yate for IOS has roon tags like WORK and PART preconfigured. This is an extremely common editing task with roon classical libraries I am afraid

You can also set the “Part” SECTION tags if you want. I tend not to bother with a composition like this with only a few movements as I don’t like the clutter.

If it is a streamed source then your options are limited. Sometimes you can fix the hierarchy with roon’s limited editing tools but it is much more hit and miss.

PS: I have just realised that roon will set the section “Part” formatting whether you like it or not if the composition has been identified.

1 Like

Thanks to the hints above. I finally got it displaying as desired:

First was to switch the multi-part composition grouping to prefer file:

Then I had to add custom WORK and PART tags to the files. In Yate, that is done in a UD Text pane:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.