Can't get sound out of my remote speakers

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS Big Sur Roon v1.8 build 764
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet/ WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

I have a Mac boob zir and an iMac. The iMac is connected with ethernet to my network and the MacBook air is running Roon and connected through ethernet. I have speakers connected to the iMac by USB
Description Of Issue

I can’t get any sound out of the speakers on my iMac. I can set up the speakers in audio and see them but when I select the them the playback menu s greyed out. I can control things from my iMac but sound only comes out of my mac book air.

Hello @Robert_Swartz ,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your patience here while your case reached our queue .

What is the model/manufacturer of the DAC connected to the iMac? If you try connecting the DAC to the Macbook Air instead of the iMac, does the DAC work as expected there? If you try to play lower sample rates, do those work as expected?

I solved the problem. I needed to download the Roon Bridge software on my iMac and then I was able to get it to work. However I have a lot problems getting sound to come out of the right speakers. Sometimes I need to go to System Preferences and move the volume on my Mac to get the sound to work. Other times the sound comes out of multiple speakers when I don’t want it to, for example my MacBook Air and my USB connected speakers. I have linked some speakers together and can’t seem to unlink them. Also I find the explanation on how to enable speakers to be opaque. Finally it took a lot digging to figure out that I needed Roon Bridge for my iMac. This does not seem to be well documented.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.