Can't pair my iPad(Roon Remote) to my computer(Roon Core)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, 64Bit, build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

China Telecom, Netgear R7000, WiFi/Ethernet available

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Auralic Aries, wireless connection

Description Of Issue

Can’t pair my iPad to my computer, but I think I used to block all local network thinking I’ll never use these functions…Now I don’t know how to get it back and set it right. Can you please help? The roon remote keeps linking to my computer and keeps failing. From my computer, I can’t find any device to connect to.

Turn off the windows firewall to start troubleshooting if this works or not

Hi @Aaron_Yi,

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

I’ve done all you said and still the connection failed. I even shut the firework down but it ain’t work. Does the connection needs to turn on the media streaming setting on my computer? I can’t turn on this “media streaming” option because it tells me the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or a service that it depends on failed to start.

Tried but failed, the troubleshooting ain’t help either. It can not fix the issues found, simply saying that it needs more information to diagnose this problem.

@Aaron_Yi Do you have the core set to allow remotes?

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Why_can’t_Roon_Remote_Connect%3F

Hi @Aaron_Yi,

If you are running any Antivirus software, it’s possible that Roon is blocked there, so I would check that aspect as well.

Yes I have. It’s the Antivirus software that’s causing the trouble. Problem resolved.

Thanks, just as you mentioned, the root cause is the Antivirus software.

Hi can you help, another issue just appeared, when I finally connect my ipad to my computer, I can’t find the system output I want. I’m using the Auralic Aries and just like before my PC can not find the ipad, this time both PC and ipad can’t find the Auralic Aries. And I’m pretty sure the three are all using the same network, and my router is Netgear R7000. I turned my Antivirus software and Windows Defender down but still nothing. I’ve turned on the Roon Ready option in Lightning DS, the controller APP of Auralic Aries.

Hi sir, can you please help me again? Many thanks!

Hi @Aaron_Yi,

Can you please post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab?

Have you ensured that “Smart Connect” is disabled in the router settings?

Networking Best Practices Guide:

Netgear R7000

We recommend disabling the “Enable Smart Connect” setting.

Please see the audio tab settings. And yes, I’ve disabled the “Smart Connect” settings. But my pc’s connection to R7000 is wired, and both Auralic Aries and my iPad are using the 5GHz frequency, wirelessly.

On the iPad roon settings you need to disable it as a private zone

Thank you so much for your kindness and help, I’ve got it all done somehow. The three are now connected. The Auralic Aries just appeared from nowhere. Sorry for all the trouble. Many big thanks man.

1 Like

Hi the connection problem is resolved somehow, now I can finally using Auralic Aries to enjoy both Roon and Tidal. And I’m sorry to bother again, which I believe it would my last two problems. The first is how can I add songs I’m listening to my Tidal collection and how can I get Roon to recommend endless songs based on what I like? When I’m using Tidal to listen to music, it would recommend me endless songs based on my collections and liked singers/albums which I’d prefer very much. I don’t want to search and choose all these albums or songs I’m not familiar with randomly and I simply don’t want the music to stop. When I’m using Tidal, I can click on my mix it recommended and never have to switch to another playlist or album, just the forever-going music. I really like it. It means all I have to do is turn on Tidal and click play, then enjoy, I don’t need to choose, just adding songs I like to my Tidal collection and wait for Tidal to recommend more based on what I like. But on Roon, I just simply can not find such option to add songs to my Tidal collection and it seems it also does not recommend endless music. I do find the recommended tracks and it also has a lot of recommended songs from Tidal(based on my queue I’m listening now, 335 tracks which can almost last for 24 hours) however it do have a limit. I think the music will stop when all those 335 songs are played out and which means by then I’ll have to looking for more. I simply don’t know how to find my taste from tremendous music library. Can you please help me with this? I really like Roon and I’ll subscribe a lifetime membership.
The second problem is all the settings. I barely knew anything about it, how those work and how they influence the sound by changing all those settings. To simply put it, how can I optimize the sound to its limit based on my system by understanding and changing all those complicated settings? Do you have a freshman guide or manual or something? I’d really appreciate it if you have a Chinese version of it. So sorry to brother you so much more and I do appreciate all the help you provided. Many many big thanks!

I really need to say, almost all of the songs that been recommended to me are not my type, way too far from Tidal’s recommendations. Can you please help me find my taste? It’s kinda annoying when I’m sitting here all day long to listen to songs that I don’t like.

Hi @Aaron_Yi,

This feature is called Roon Radio in our app, and it can be set to start automatically when music ends or you can manually start it off of an artist/track.

There’s quite a bit you can do with Roon in terms of changing sound settings. I would start by looking over our Audio Basics Setup Guide and then our DSP Engine Guide once you have the basics down.

Our general Roon User Guide also provides a wealth of information, as does this Community forum.

We only have English versions of the guide at this time, but you can use Google to translate the KB articles to Chinese if you are showing them to non-English speakers, here they are below:
Audio Basics Guide - Translated to Simplified Chinese
DSP Guide - Translated to Simplified Chinese

Hope this helps!

Hi Noris, I’ve listened over 100 songs since yesterday and only two or three are my type and I’ve added them to my library. Not sure if this is like adding songs to my Tidal collection.This is really, really frustrated. Almost all of the songs that recommended by Roon are not my type. Can you guys invent an algorithm of precise recommendations just like Tidal did? When I first logged in Tidal, after choosing numerous players I like, Tidal generated a mix it thinks I’d prefer. And I did like many of it. This is really the biggest issue I’ve faced so far. I can’t enjoy music now, because of the poor recommendation algorithm Roon had. I’ll have to reconsider subscripe Roon if it remains unresolved. I’ll have to turn on Tidal again.

Hi @Aaron_Yi,

Roon learns as you add more music to your collection, so the more you use it, the better it works!
Our Roon Radio FAQ might also be of interest. If Roon Radio doesn’t seem to be your taste, you can also view New Releases For You on the Overview tab or recommended albums/playlists.