Can't play to remote computer via openVPN

Hello,
I got remote access to my roon core working, thanks to the openVPN posts I found here. I had no problem in browsing my library but there wasn’t any options for streaming music to my MacBook at work. I checked Settings/Audio and found that only Zones directly connected to my roon core were available. I was able to streaming music to my laptop while at home when they were in the same local network. I couldn’t figure out why this isn’t working with openVPN. BTW I have a internet with 10Mbps upload at home. Not sure if that’s the bottleneck. Thanks!

Roon via VPN isn’t officially supported so I will move this over to the tinkering section where the VPN cast hang out.

1 Like

Connecting to Roon over VPN is a complex beast. I haven’t read a lot of success stories when it comes to OpenVPN. Most functioning solutions seem to rely on IPSec/L2TP VPN connections. Maybe have another look in the Tinkering section and play around with other solutions? Technically it seems to be all about being on the same subnet when connecting.

I personally run a Softether VPN server on my Windows machine that’s also running RoonServer and connecting to it and playing from it remotely works well. Good luck!

1 Like

Accessing the core over VPN is the easy part. Getting the core to see anything on the connected side is an altogether different beast. I gave up with it n the end and will wait for a supported way to do this. Hopefully in 1.8 but not holding my breath.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll look into that!

Maybe we would be surprised when 1.8 comes out… :grinning:

Bridge and audio device can not find each other through openvpn, now we can specified the ip of core, so we can connect to the core, if roon provide a simple feature that can input the audiodevice ip, may provide a easy way to solved the problem?

Maybe the solution is in using a mesh VPN like Nebula or Zerotier. This seems to handle access to the local net differently.

Using L2TP/IPsec instead. See my post. :grinning:

The core looks for IP addresses on the same network, but when you have a vpn, the ip addresses are changed/masked and the connection is relayed from different endpoints around the world or country. Roon will not naturally allow you to access the core from different wireless server endpoints (as in playback audio with a return connection). When you use a L2TP/IPSec type VPN throughput, you may be able to bypass or allow certain direct connections to certain IP addresses; although, the whole point of a VPN is for utmost privacy. You must acknowledge that the connection between devices when running through a L2TP/IPSec type VPN isn’t that secure compared to other options (SSTP, OpenVPN (TCP/UDP), WireGuard, IPSec Direct, IKEv2/IPSec, SoftEther). Many VPN providers are starting to consider the L2TP protocol outdated and unsecured.

I would recommend that you should at least have a faster internet connection than 25Mbps (up/down) for remote connections, and if you are trying to use a Remote Desktop, make sure it is at least 25Mbps reaching the computer directly (ethernet or wifi). I have over 450Mbps for upload speed.

VPN always slows down your connection, generally.

1 Like