Can't restore database from PC to NUC

Hmmm, that’s interesting
There should be a Intel SSD 128 GB drive in there. I will check tonight when i get home and make sure that it’s there!

The 128 GB SSD drive can only be used to install ROCK. Referred to as the M2 drive. It’s used for the OS and the database. Music can’t go on it. :frowning_face:
You have a couple options. Depending on the form factor of the NUC you can have a 2.5 inch drive installed (referred to as SATA drive). They are fairly cheap and easy to install.
OR you can use a USB drive plugged into the back of the NUC.

Ok got it! Does that mean that i can’t load the back up until the SATA drive is installed as well?

No. You can back up the database from an old database as you are now. That backup goes to the M2 drive.

Sorry - just re-read your previous post and it’s pretty clear in that.
Will try again tonight.
Thanks!

Some other helpful information here. @Geoff_Coupe helped another user through the process of getting a Windows PC set as a network share for ROCK. Sounds like the same issues you’re running into.
Scroll down to post 8 or so

It looks as tho that might be a solution - however, my connection keeps timing out every time i enter in the details. A few times it got thru before timing out and i got the ‘‘Unauthorised’’ message - so was going to try a few things like not entering the password, or fiddling with the file name but it got too incredibly frustrating with the timing out i gave up.
Would the timing out a network/wifi issue? Looking at the community, there does seem to be timing out issues with Roon. I have checked the Firewall and it’s not being blocked. Happens on Windows 10 laptop, Android phone and tablet.

No, that would NOT be the address of your shared folder.

If you share the folder at C:\users\david\roonbackup on your laptop, then the network address of the folder would be \\192.168.1.16\users\david\roonbackup or \\yourlaptopname\users\david\roonbackup.

You say your connection keeps timing out? You mean that the Roon user interface keeps flashing up “Lost Connection”? If so, then there are definitely network issues. You need to get those sorted first, I would suggest.

I agree it seems like a network issue, though its odd you apparently had Roon running on the PC before without issues.
It never hurts to reboot everything, starting with your router, then Nuc, then your PC (turn them all off, the power up in that order).
Roon Support will want to see your network configuration details if you need help getting the time out errors fixed.

Hi @David_Dome,

As Geoff suggests, it doesn’t look like the path that you’re using is correct here.

First, you’ll want to make sure that the folder is appropriately shared on Windows so that it can be accessed over the network.

Head over to that folder and select Properties via File Explorer in Windows. From here you can choose Share so that it can be accessed over the network. Once you’ve shared the folder, you should see the Network Path listed there:

Use this path, along with the correct username and password, and that should work for you.

Ok, have hopefully fixed network connection issues.
Have decided to point Roon directly at Nativ Vita which is where the music is stored (internal drive)
It has no password or username on the Vita and i get the attached error message.
Any ideas on how to fix @support ?

And one more thing im trying to get my head around: my ptevious Roon licence was held on my laptop. How dou transfer it to my NUC?

Licenses aren’t transferred, per se.

Just disconnect from your laptop Core and authorize your NUC Core.

Settings —- General

Ok thanks @xxx that was easy enough.
Just need to workout how to point the NUC to the Nativ as the watched folder.

I’d have to fumble around trying to help with this, so it’s best to wait for support.

1 Like

So I tried entering in nativ as username and password as password (as per nativ instructions) but the connection keeps dropping out again. No other devices are experiencing drop outs since we upgraded to a fibre connection. 10 secs and then it drops out.
Next steps?

I think i resolved the connection issues by swapping out the old modem for a new one. It seems more stable. But i still cant connect thru - i get the following error message again

If you’ve swapped out the modem for a new one - has the IP address changed as a result? If so, you’ll need the new address to set up the correct network share.

Hi @David_Dome,

If you enter that path into File Explorer or Finder, are yu able to access the folder?

Also, as Geoff mentioned, it would be good to confirm that the IP address has not changed since switching networking devices.

There are some issues with the Nativ at the moment as it was donwnloading a new software update. But yes, there was a new IP address whihc i have now updated.

Positively, i have worked out the password issue - was trawling thru some Nativ documentation and found that the password for the folder is not the same as access to the hard drive! I left Roon scanning all the songs on the Nativ when i left for work this morning. I hope it’s all worked it’s way through by the time i get home!

1 Like