Can't Select Server During Software Install

I am using a Windows desktop computer to control a Roon Server on a separate Windows computer on the same Orbi network. I had to re-install the Roon software on the desktop. During the install, I get a screen with the option to select the desktop or the server PC as my Server but the button for the server PC is greyed out. I can listen to the Roon at the desktop location but I cannot control or see it from the desktop PC.

@Darryl_Maddox, have you rebooted both your Roon Server PC and the PC you are installing for Remote use? On both PCs, can you confirm you have Windows firewall exceptions allowing roon.exe, raatserver.exe, and roonappliance.exe?

Did you try clicking it? The color choice is not great and it looks greyed out even if it’s a functional option

My windows firewall is off on both PCs. I don’t know if it matters but the Kaspersky protection that is on my desktop computer is on and it says the everything Roon is trusted.

The greyed-out button to select my server is not clickable.

What if you temporarily deactivate the Kaspersky firewall and see if that results in any changes?

Tried that. It still doesn’t work.

I have moved this to the Support category. Can you please complete the information below so Roon staff can assist when they return after the holiday:

Roon Server Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Server - Lenvo i5 (10500T) ThinkCenter w/16gb of RAM

Network - Orbi RBK 753, wi-fi

Audio devices - Gustard R26 DAC connected via ethernet to Qrbi satellite.

Tracks - 5,300 tracks

I re-installed my software. The screen on my desktop computer that allows me to select my server says it is connecting to the server but it never does. I can play music over the network but I cannot control or view the server from the desktop.

Hi @Darryl_Maddox,
Thank you for your patience while we worked through the queue. Can you provide a screenshot of the select server screen?

@Darryl_Maddox diagnostics indicate that your problem has been resolved. Are you still having trouble connecting your remote to your server?

If that is the case, I must be doing something wrong here locally. I still have the same issue. I still cannot select the computer with the red dot for my server.

Bad software install?

I do appreciate the attention that was given to this problem. Unfortunately, it was never solved. I do believe that it is solvable but me trying to solve it by trial and error is frustrating. Rather than continue going to the server to control my music library, I will next try a complete software reinstall. If that does not work, I will not be renewing my subscription.

Hi @Darryl_Maddox,
Since this is looking like a firewall issue, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.