Cars ... another expensive hobby

I had to keep my head down low.
The FD of the group who was my boss pushed hard for me to have the Alfa when HR said no… It all looked good for a while :scream_cat:

1 Like

However best way to own an Alfa…on someone else’s dime :joy:

1 Like

So true, even though I could never have made that statement myself :joy_cat:

1 Like

I only ever had one “company car” in England.
Probably 1998?
Vauxhall Astra estate, 1.7 TDI.
It left me stranded three times in two years…they gave me a Cavalier instead after that, not new but MUCH better.

1 Like

the miata

And my 1981 VW Caddy that I just sold

2 Likes

Don’t know him, but I’ve been to Frank Hawley’s school in Gainesville, Fl several times getting my 9 second license then my 6 second license. He was nitro Funny Car World Champion a few times.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine 6 second’s, just unreal.
Broke into the high 9’s on two wheel’s and that was quite fast enough thank you🙄

1 Like

The Caddy is a cool ride indeed, don’t see them on every street corner!

I’ve only owned it a year. Wanted one sooooo bad (had rabbits back in the day), but the legroom is non-existent in this thing.

Sold it to a guy at least six inches shorter and he’s very happy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this thread only for land lovers? What about drag racing on water?

2 Likes

Freaking insane…makes “normal” drag racing look safe :innocent:

1 Like

I built a MiniMax and MiniMost when I was 15. Don’t believe that 15 hours for $15 bull, but it was pretty easy with just simple hand tools and zero help from anyone.

1 Like

If you have a Kroger in your area, you could use this for groceries…and parked in her rickety ol’ garage is a brand new:

One of 55: “Mr. Norm’s” 1964 Dodge 330 Hemi Factory Super Stock Racer

3 Likes

we have to pay this before you ever get the car (new) or every 10 years to renew the car “entitlement”

it doesnt end there… then there is tax

And petrol prices is well up there too…dont get me started on parking either :tired_face:

prices in Singapore $ which is close to Canadian $

SGD $114,000 = 81,940 US Dollars give or take, 79,948 Euros or 68,160 British Pounds

That’s not even counting cars for a hobby!

Yeah - I lived in SG for 10 years. I did without a car until the last 3 years. I only capitulated after not getting to a tender response interview for a job we were bidding on in time due to SG taxis disappearing when it rains.

I seem to remember COE on the car I bought being in the $95k-ish range.

I also remember ERP. Bloody hell!!

PAP know how to milk it :rofl:

1 Like

ERP got turned off when Covid lockdowns started in March 2020…it’s still off for 90% of the systems bar a few expressways during peak hours.

1 Like

I remember when the CTE ERP in-bound to the city hit $10 peak hours during my time there :dizzy_face:

I spent the majority of my time on the East Coast (Joo Chiat, Siglap, Telok Kurau) and used the ECP and also later the MCE mostly and the ERP wasn’t too horrific. I tended to be an earlybird at the office and would be at my desk by 7am most days which helped with both parking and ERP.

It’s been 7 years now, but there is still stuff I miss: teh halia, char kway teow, the mulligatawny soup at the SCC, 24hr Prata on East Coast Road, Jaggi’s. It’s probably time I visited again. Happy times.

1 Like

my 2002 BMW 325i Touring. 5-speed, sport suspension, Dinan mods. I love this car maybe even more than the Miata. But it’s in storage because I have no room for it! :disappointed:

2 Likes

I did some of the Dinan mods to my Z3. It was a little 4 banger, but lots of fun.

As someone who has had a turbo miata and two 335’s over the past two decades, that is a strong statement. I would LOVE a 3-series wagon but no more manuals for that car in the states.

Sheldon