CD ripping causing ROCK to 'hang'

I have been using a USB DVD Drive to automatically rip CDs with ROCK for a while now without issues.

However, all of a sudden inserting a CD is causing ROCK to hang - kind of. It seems I can still play music but the CD doesn’t rip and web interface is completely un-responsive - the eject button doesn’t work, the restart/reboot buttons don’t work!

The only way to fix it is to hold the power button down until it turns off and then press the power button again. Once started up again the CD is ripped as normal but the next time I add another CD the same thing happens again!

Help/thoughts?

Best Regards

Guy

I’ve moved your post into the Support category of the forum, where it will be seen, and responded to, by a member of Roon’s support team.

@support - this seems to be the same issue as this report:

1 Like

Hey @support

What do you think? Any solutions? Did you fix it for the other user?

Best Regards

Guy

Hello @Guy_Brown1,

Next time you can reproduce this issue, could you please reply here with a timestamp so I can enable diagnostics for your account? Thanks!

Hey @nuwriy

I haven’t ripped any CDs for a while but just done a few today.

I happened again with both CDs I tried to rip. First at around 10am and now at 13.24.

Best Regards

Guy

Hello @Guy_Brown1,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi,

I ripped a few CDs yesterday after having to do a forced shutdown (holding down the power button on the NUC) first but I managed to rip 3 CDs without issues.

However I have just tried to rip another CD today and the issue has happened again.

The CD doesn’t rip and now the Web Interface is non response to any commands (e.g. eject, reboot, shutdown, etc).

Could you check the logs and see if you can see anything?

Let me know if it is OK to do a forced shutdown again or if you need to check the logs first.

Best Regards

Guy

OK, so I tried to rip another CD yesterday and afterwards all my music disappeared and Roon asked me to add Music to my library! I checked the Storage setting and the internal ROCK storage was still connected. I tried a Force Rescan but nothing happened. I could still navigate to the files via the Network share and the ROCK web interface still reported the internal storage was present.

So I then tried to do a restore from a previous backup and it killed ROCK.

Now the NUC says
“BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).
Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS
Performance Options or recent hardware change.
Press ‘Y’ to enter Setup or ‘N’ to cancel and attempt
to boot with previous settings.”

I only have a wired USB Mac keyboard to hand and nothing happens when pressing any of the keys!!!

I guess I’ll have to buy a PC keyboard to see if I can get any further!!!

What has happened? What’s going on! Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

Guy

Downloaded the ROCK recovery image but can’t get the NUC to boot from the USB drive.

The only way it will boot to the USB drive is to remove the M.2 PCI drive - which obviously doesn’t help!

If the M.2 PCI drive is connected then I still get this error!
“BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).
Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS
Performance Options or recent hardware change.
Press ‘Y’ to enter Setup or ‘N’ to cancel and attempt
to boot with previous settings.”

OK, so the M2 SSD died completely. Installed a new one, restore my library and am back up and running!

I’ll try ripping a few CDs tomorrow and see want happens!

OK, tried to rip another CD and it’s still not working!!!

But scared about doing another forced shutdown using the power button as that might have been what killed the first m2 SSD!

Hey @nuwriy

Any progress on this?

It is constantly happening and I have a bunch of CDs to rip.

I’d love to have this fixed so I can continue using it!

Best Regards

Guy

Hey @support

Any more info on this? Would love to get to the bottom of this and find a fix!

Best Regards

Guy

Hello @Guy_Brown1, my apologies for the delay. Our QA team is currently testing this issue and I’ll reply as soon as I hear back from them.

@nuwriy

Just to further add to this. ROCK no longer responds at all to Shutdown or Restart commands and the button (single press) on the NUC doesn’t work either. To power down I have hold the power button to do a force shutdown (which I am now paranoid of doing since it killed my last SSD)

Best Regards

Guy

Hello @Guy_Brown1, I checked in with the team and we’re still testing this issue. My apologies for the delay and thanks for the update! I’ll pass it along.

Just use proper software like dbpoweramp.

“Just use something else” is maybe not that helpful!

Beside, it feels like a bigger issue than just the CD ripping since the NUC no longer responds to any commands such as reboot or shutdown which is a real issue.

Yes, that’s a lot of issues.

Agree that “use something else” is not usually helpful and I usually don’t say that or like it when I see it. But, it’s warranted in this case, IMO.

The cd ripping feature was added in response to numerous requests. The implementation, though, seems like going through the motions to check off a box. I seem to recall it is based on some rudimentary open source thing, and they didn’t even bother including it for Windows and Mac users (who ironically must “use something else.”)

Even JRiver has a decent built–in ripper for ages. How hard can it be?

On the other hand, I can see not wanting to invest a lot of resources in it. There are already better solutions, and it is slowly becoming obsoleted by downloads, which are being obsoleted by streaming.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.