CD ripping feature in Roon

Ok, XLD technique still going strong. Changed to musicbrainz, so far discs detected but haven’t gone back to the unidentified one above. So for now this is a great workaround.

One thing I would say (and now I remember why I abandoned it and used iTunes to rip my collection) is it’s really slooooow. Get about 1-2.x max. iTunes would frequently do 15x. But if it works, for casual discs one at a time (or 10 today) then it’s not too important.

Sometimes secure ripping is slower than itunes ripping. But that said, I’ve mostly found my dbpoweramp ripping to be anywhere from 8x to 20x ripping speed (I’m using windows version). And in asking a friend that uses XLD, he also notices much faster ripping speeds than 1-2x. Certainly some CDs have issues that do rip that slow, but not the typical CD.

This has been my experience as well. XLD tends to be much, much slower than dBPoweramp. I have yet to try the mac version of dBPoweramp, but on the windows version the only way to setup completely automated ripping was with the batch ripper. I’m not sure if this has changed lately, but if that’s still the case then that will be an issue on the mac platform as the batch ripper isn’t available.

A little trick when XLD does not recognize a CD… Quit XLD, allow iTunes to identify the CD, eject the CD and re-insert, restart XLD. XLD will now have the meta data thanks to iTunes. (I don’t recall if the eject step is needed. I’m not at home, so I can’t double check right now.)

Interesting! (p.s. My friend has switched to Mac dbpa so obviously decided he liked that better than XLD for various reasons)

and for classical music there’s just iTunes :zipper_mouth_face: I think I’ve tried them all.

it’s about user interface (UI) You can bring good money to bad money and being worried about rips. Well it’s your money, but with the payments for all the different players and rippers you can buy several Roon subscriptions for life. I’ve friends in their seventies who want to enjoy music the easy way and that’s a workflow with Roon and iTunes. They don’t care about ‘linux’! I’m pissed off. This 62 years old from the Netherlands wishing the kidsforum a goodnight and enjoying comparing the rips.

As far as not caring about linux and being “pissed off”, I don’t understand at all where you are coming from. Who said you needed to switch to Linux? And who are you pissed off at? Why is this a “kids forum” because someone dared not to agree with you? As I posted earlier, I actually want CD ripping in Roon too. You say “good money after bad” and it is of course your right to have that point of view, but I think the vast majority of us consider this a rather minor feature compared to all the Roon offers. Lastly, I don’t think you are taking the right approach to get anyone to want to do anything for you. Who wants to help someone who just hurls insults?

Edit: Removed response to now deleted post.

XLD is free. iTunes is free. dbPowerAmp is only $39. Roon should have CD ripping, but let stick to the facts.

I agree that Roon should have CD ripping, but what exactly does that mean? To me, all I really need is for whatever application I use to rip my CDs has a hook into Roon so that the two look-up engines match so that the tracks get ripped into whatever directory and filenaming convention Roon prefers and the proper version can be linked to the Roon entry so that the track metadata gets populated with data that contains whatever Roon has or needs.

[quote=“rbienstock, post:75, topic:4487”]
all I really need is for whatever application I use to rip my CDs has a hook into Roon so that the two look-up engines match so that the tracks get ripped into whatever directory and filenaming convention Roon prefers and the proper version can be linked to the Roon entry so that the track metadata gets populated with data that contains whatever Roon has or needs.
[/quote]dbPoweramp or any number of rippers can be configured to do exactly that.

1 Like

CDs are going the way of the dodo. I’d hate to see development effort going into reinventing something that’s been done a million times and will remain relevant only at the margin in years to come. The effort that would have to go into coding ripping capability that’s going to meet everyone’s wishlist/requirements is in my view simply unwarranted. It’s perfectly easy to configure the ripper of your choice to pop ripped CD’s into a folder location that Roon’s pointed to for new music.

3 Likes

True, but that will be a long process. I’m still buying new CDs, though far fewer than I used to. I’m sure there are people whose favorite genres are not well represented on Tidal who still buy a lot of CDs. Then there are the collectors among us. Also, although most of us early adopters ripped our whole collections long ago, some new Roon users may need to rip their whole libraries.

Not true for classical music lovers.

The companies keep mining their back catalog and are continually putting out big box sets. Don’t see this ending any time soon.

The big problem that Roon has is identifying these box sets, which Roon is well aware of.

I’m also still buying CDs because a lot of what I listen to isn’t available as lossless download. For those purchases and even more so for those that need to rip their whole libraries you’d be hard pressed to look past dbPoweramp, especially its batch ripper, without which I’m not sure I’d ever have completed the initial task. I used to rip 4-5 CDs concurrently using batch ripper and do as many as I could bear whilst doing other things. Everytime a CD drawer was open and I happened to pass by I’d load another CD. I’d have gone nuts if I’d tried to do it in marathon sessions.

I used to use Sooloos for ripping, but sadly I discovered it did not embed any metadata into the files which made them troublesome when using with or software.

I did some research, found dBpowerAmp and haven’t looked back since. It does all, and more, than I need.

I’m not opposed to have Roon integrating ripping but there’s 20 or so other features higher up the priority list … that can’t be fixed/worked-around with a £30 third part app.

2 Likes

The problem for me is that dbpoweramp is worse for identifying classical albums since they lost access to AMG; I am getting far fewer hits than I used to. If Roon offered a ripper, I feel there would be more positive hits.

1 Like

I wonder if Roon would actually have to code ripping software per-se. Perhaps they could integrate with another provider that runs cross-platform, and hook into them so they can access Roons metadata and so you can see rips coming in? Sort of like the way HQ player was handled. Just an idea.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Large box set issues

My understanding is that AMG is shuttering its metadata service. That is why dBpoweramp lost access. AMG metadata no longer will be available elsewhere. So, this is not a shortcoming of dBpoweramp, per se, as a Roon CD ripper likely would be no better.

AJ