CD ripping feature in Roon

You are correct. AMG will not be providing this data, thus the dbpa removal.

I was thinking that if Roon offers a ripper, it would use its metadata sources.

Vis a vis the loss of AMG, Roon’s metadata may not fill that niche.

But here is a larger issue. A Roon CD ripper would embed its metadata into the files. That would mean the metadata is transferable outside of Roon, undermining part of Roon’s business model.

AJ

If Roon did rip it would only be able to embed basic metadata in the files. Roon’s rich extended metadata would be quite safe.

Even if Roon did not give away the keys to the entire kingdom with embedded metadata, a Roon CD ripper that embedded any metadata would be allowing a foot inside that door. And that seems to be what some users want – because they are unsatisfied with the metadata being served by standalone CD rippers. They want the metadata that Roon has.

Anyway, I am on the side of no CD ripping functionality. Some seem to wish for Roon to become JRiver – a jack of all trades. But JRiver already exists. So, if they want JRiver, then use JRiver.

AJ

I have no interest in getting my foot in the door. I like Roon, but want it to work better. I’m looking to increase the number of identified albums in my collection and looking for the best way to accomplish this.

Why do you think ripping would improve Roon’s identification?

If Roon started from a CD with no metadata why would that be better if it was using the same mechanism it currently uses on files ripped by another program?

If the metadata added by another program is causing Roon problems identifying things then why not delete it or rip CD’s wihout any metadata?

I don’t see that ripping as a function improves idenfication or does it? Roon could likely improve its identification but why is that related to ripping? Does the CD contain information that ripping software uses to get metadata that is not available in the ripped files?

Am I misunderstanding how ripping and identification work?

1 Like

Having Roon rip your CDs would not improve album identification. You already get that level of identification and metadata just by continuing to use Roon as your player.

So, unless you want to embed Roon’s basic metadata in your files and be able to transport that metadata outside of Roon, what would you gain from a Roon CD ripper?

Lastly, if you are unhappy with album identification and available metadata from your current CD ripper, you always can enter/edit manually your own metadata. After all, other people had to do that labor for album identification and metadata to exist in the first place. If you are not satisfied with their work, then take the job into your own hands.

AJ

1 Like

Considered the price asked for ROON…a decent ripper is mandatory.

Before using Roon I ripped all my CDs using DBPowerAmp in one week-long session. I then ripped CDs as soon as I purchased them. Since using Roon I have bought maybe a handful of CDs. My experience isn’t unique; CD sales are in decline. Indeed it is vinyl that is seeing a resurgence.

Adding this feature would be a pointless waste of effort for this reason and because excellent rippers are freely available for all platforms.

7 Likes

Why? Why not separate things? I wouldn’t like Roon to become all things in one (a “Swiss army knife”), it would clutter the software IMO.

3 Likes

Roon is missing a lot a valuable features…Ripping CD is one of them, considering the price asked.
Why not including DBPoweramp as a plugin ?

It’s the Roon UI that contain too many useless features and lack stability…

The price is what it is, if you don’t see value it’s not for you.

Examples please:

1. useless features
  2. instability
2 Likes

I notice the link in your bio. Are you a consumer of Roon or a competitor? Rip and play is not Roon’s USP.

1 Like

After my initial frustration I’ve really started to enjoy all these feature threads that want Roon to be something that it’s not intended to be. Whether it is folder based browsing, cd ripper or whatever. It’s always the same :slight_smile:

2 Likes

CeolBOX seems to be a French ripper, streamer, and NAS.

I think Michel Forbes is the designer of CeolBOX … a French Canadian business. See http://www.magazine-audio.com/ceolbox-nas-and-beyond/.

iTunes as a ripper. Although Roon will not recommend it :wink:

Yes, that’s true, but this misses the point. Roon has probably the best database out there. It is a pain to have one’s metadata not be identical to what is in Roon if you want to use those files outside of Roon. Also, although somewhat flexible, Roon can be picky as to the file naming and directory conventions used with certain albums. It would be awesome if one could integrate Roon’s superior info directly into the ripped files metadata as well as having files ripped Roon-friendly filenames and directories. It isn’t necessary to integrate a file ripper into Roon but one would for them to talk to each other somehow. I’d completely happy to continue to use dBPoweramp if it had this feature.

Martin, I’m not a competitor…I bought two license of Roon…btw it will be nice to have a rebate eventually…
I just want a better product, that’s all…