CD Ripping Produces 2 Copies of Same File in Roon Library

I’m ripping all my CDS to 24 bit, 192 FLAC and storing on new Apple MacBook Pro SSD 2 TB drive for use in Roon. Using DbPoweramp CD Ripper. I end up with 2 copies of the same file in the Roon Library? Why? If I try to edit one of the versions and delete it, both files disappear from the Roon Library. Are there actually 2 copies in Roon Library? I’m trying to save space…

Have you set dBpoweramp to rip directly into your Watched Folder? If so, this may be what is causing the issue.

The reason is that the ripping is a relatively slow process, so Roon sees the album gradually appear, and tries to make sense of what it’s seeing. The identification process often breaks as a result.

Best practice is to download to a staging area outside of your Watched Folder, and once complete manually copy the completed albums across into your Library (i.e. copy the album folders into your Watched Folder). That, or stop your Roon Core whilst ripping directly into your Library is taking place.

Also, what’s the naming convention that you have set within dBpoweramp? I would expect it to be something like: Album Artist\Album\TrackNum Artist - Title

Thank you for the quick reply. I was ripping to Music/CDs in Flac, a folder watched by Roon. But I also had Roon watching Music folder. I told Roon only to watch Music/CDs in Flac. That solved the issue.

Hi, glad the duplicate album problem was resolved.

I’m just curious why you are ripping you CD (16 bit 44k1) to a high format?

My preference is to rip to native format and (if required) then use DSP up sampling.

Also, I’ve always understood that it is better to upsample to whole-number multiple - eg 4 x 44.1 = 176.4

Hi again,

My question was not so much about the KHz value but why you are creating an upsampled version of the CD when ripping rather than ripping to native and than using realtime DSP up sampling during playback.

I always rip to native, so I have the ‘original’ version on disk, this way I only have rip once and I treat this as my master copy.

Going back to x2 upsampling, I used to be in that camp but these days using modern hardware and floating point upsampling algorithms I’m quite comfortable upsampling 44k1 to 96KHz or 192KHz to match the DAC’s max input rate.

Anyhow, no right or wrong here, it’s down to personal preference.

@Carl : in reply; I am a relative novice in all of this; I simply chose that FLAC 24bit, 192 KHz format in that I saw that it was used by HDTracks as their highest offering for downloading one of their purchased files.

It is a lossless format, but compressed, and results in an average CD being ripped to result in average 500 MB file, which is about 100 MB or more less than ripping the whole CD to AIFF or WAVE.

From what I’ve read, I doubt I will hear any improvement in sound over the original CD. I guess I could have also saved a lot of space by ripping to 16 bit, 44.1 FLAC.

Thanks for your reply, just note there are many options when it comes to up sampling that you can explore but only if you have a native rate rip …

If at some point you want to investigate you would have to re-rip your CD collection again … (and that’s a right faff to have do again).

My strong recommendation would be to rip once at native rate, and then use Roon (or something like HQPlayer) to do the up sampling during playback.

2 Likes

Agreed - you’re not getting good storage value by upsampling at ripping. That is mostly just storing padding in a sense, like shipping a rubber raft fully inflated. Suggest ripping to native rates in FLAC and then if there is a reason for upsample let the playback software do it.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.