Censorship about off-topic things

This is exactly why the mute exists. @anon90297517, mute?

1 Like

Is that the one where everyone grew up in a country that celebrated guns without ever questioning if they were a good idea, and then went on to kill a whole bunch of people because that’s how it’s always been done?

1 Like

Here’s a more substantial contribution to this thread. I received this email a few minutes ago from my kids’ school:

"We’ve received communication from the Police Department of reports of shots fired early this morning and some casings were found in the . There are no immediate threats. No district property or bus routes are impacted by this incident.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation to prioritize our students’ safety and provide update(s) as appropriate. "

1 Like

I do believe the olympics are Greek in origin, and your own country took home a bronze in shooting last month.

that sucks… people should not be shooting out in public places. Nor should they be stabbing other with knives.

…but that’s a bit off-topic, since no one suggested or approves talking about weaponry or acts of violence here.

1 Like

I’ll touch upon this briefly, as I’m Roon Support and have posted in the thread. I was alerted that a topic was flagged as inappropriate. So, as Roon Staff I was compelled to take a look at the offending topic. That’s part of my job, keeping an eye on these reports. The topic was this thread.

@danny has decided to let the thread stand. I agree with him. He’s not a fan of guns, nor am I. We’re also not fans of censoring topics before they become a problem.

A community member decided to flag one of Danny’s posts as inappropriate. I get a notification and now I’m back in the thread to investigate. Danny’s comment isn’t inappropriate, reporting his comment as such is inappropriate - and petty. That report pulled me away from helping a customer who has an issue.

If, as a customer, you’re concerned about this topic being a distraction from customer support issues please act accordingly and stop flagging comments that have no fault other than they differ from your opinion. Thanks.

3 Likes

Not quite sure how that’s relevant? I think the bottom line here is that guns are a touchy subject.

You said …

My comments are an attempt to voice “the other side”. I can see where you’re coming from, and it’s a perfectly legitimate place to be but, as I mentioned, guns are a touchy subject.

Guns is a known toxic subject. There is a massive history of anti-hunting vs pro-NRA antipathy. And, IMO, including the subject here will inevitably invite that negativity and angst into the forum.

Comparing it to MQA was funny except AFAIK no-one died of MQA (yet). Maybe someone did get so worked up about it that did get sick :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The question is whether such a topic enhances or diminishes the forum overall. Sure coffee, dogs and bikes are topics but unlikely to cause stress.

Personally I wouldn’t open this can o’worms. But, I have no dog in this knife fight as I don’t read the OT forums area.

4 Likes

I DESPISE everything what has to do with weapons / fireguns.
There is no place on an audio forum for this and I can’t believe it’s still open.

What’s next, a topic about Weed, MDMA, XTC?

2 Likes

XTC were a fantastic band :wink:

6 Likes

I thought you were making a joke with your comment about the US, where gun violence occurs at a greater rate than in your own country. I was pointing out that your own country celebrates firearms for non-violent uses.

:joy:

Agreed on the touchy subject. I’d like to moderate the offending content and not the touchiness.

The mute button exists for exactly your situation.

It’s about “firearms” and “shooting” them. It’s in the title.

No, not a joke. I was comparing the situation in the US with the 5 monkeys’ experiment that you mentioned, i.e. that people in the US grow up in a culture that celebrates guns, hence people from elsewhere often see the topic as way more objectionable and worrying because they don’t share that celebratory culture. You’re right though, there is a big difference between the US and the UK, which probably has something to do with the fact that we don’t celebrate guns.

3 Likes

This is exactly my point. You are taking firearms and shooting to mean “killing and/or hurting living things”.

I’m 100% sure the original author and any meaningful contributors to this topic would not take it the same way.

Firearms describe the device, not its use as a weapon. Shooting is an action of discharging the firearm and does not solely imply that it is directed towards living things.

A very common use case of owning and shooting firearms is in the sport of it, and I’m not ready to censor based on the fact that there happens to be a bad use case.

1 Like

You know, all this talk reminds me about how people tried to censor heavy metal music because it was feared it would bring about mass violence. Yes, violence did occur, but I’m glad the censors failed.

1 Like

That is one of the intended uses of a gun. I would say the main purpose of a gun that is not specifically designed for sports.

I am not so 100% sure.

1 Like

So let’s see how it goes. I do not censor what-if situations. You can mute if you don’t want to see it.

1 Like

Y’all best start discussing, because there’s already one user that’s announced leaving the forum on day 35, and it could start a stampede of right-thinking folks to exit this den of iniquity

1 Like

Well, this is one subject I just can’t ignore once I’ve seen it, especially when I see it on the last forum in the universe I expected to see it on. I live in the US and I just can’t be impartial to the gun violence epidemic and anything related to it. It’s not a natural phenomenon we have to deal with, it’s one of the choices we make. I think the choice you made today was a bad one. I won’t be looking at Roon with the same admiration, to say the least. It may be the perfect solution to my love for music, but at the end of the day, nothing is irreplaceable.

(I don’t know why you have a topic called “off topic”, which is a contradiction in terms, but when you do, sooner or later this is bound to happen.)

2 Likes

Good to see you folks haven’t accidentally regained your sense of proportion in the weeks i’ve been preoccupied with other things! :slight_smile:

If this is the knife thread, let me second Danny’s praise for a constant companion. I keep a Swiss Army knife, a Victorinox “Manager” model, on my key chain and in my pocket at all times. Hard to imagine the sheer number of threads it’s cut, splinters it’s removed, papers it’s signed (it has a ballpoint pen), screws it’s tightened, and even pencils it’s sharpened, over the years.

Practicality aside, the knife is one of the premier applications of the wedge, itself one of the six classic “simple machines”, and deserves to be celebrated for the number of lives it has saved from starvation and predation!

7 Likes