Networking Gear & Setup Details

FritzBox 6490 Cable Router + Mini Switch

Connected Audio Devices

Pioneer AVR Receiver VSX 1131
Philips OLED 65OLED804_12

Number of Tracks in Library

35,000 tracks

Description of Issue

As written above my setup encompasses a Pioneer AVR connected to the Mac Mini M1 over HDMI. When playing 5.1 multichannel music I realised that my center speaker is not working, Front Left+Right and Rear Left + Right work perfectly, it’s just the Center speaker getting no signal at all.

I imported a 5.0 FLAC test file into Roon which proves the effect that only the front and rear speakers are working. The center speaker however works perfectly with the test file when being played by VLC.

Tried several different settings in MIDI setup with 7.1/6.1/5.1 as well as swapped the center speaker and LFE speaker in the speaker configuration without success.

1 Like

What is the signal path showing when this file is playing. Perhaps you can paste a screen shot of the signal path in this post.

I’m a multi-channel fan and play 5.0 and 5.1 often. It should work with the center channel if its present in the signal.

1 Like

Hello Mike, attached you find the signal path for a

• 5.0 test file
  • 5.1 test file
  • 5.1 normal song
    In all cases the center speaker is quiet. From VLC it plays perfectly…

Had to change LFE to channel 4 and Center speaker to channel 3 in MIDI Setup configuration to enable Center.

Not familiar with MAC or the configuration app. Is the center channel working now with the configuration change?

I have my surround system dismantled while the living room is being remodeled and have no way to play MC to verify mine is working at this time.

Hello Mike,

unfortunately not from Roon, only via VLC :-(.

Thanks and regards, Matt

Hi @Mati_G ,

Can you please access your Device Setup for the HDMI zone (Roon Settings → Audio → Cogwheel → Device Setup), then try to scroll to the bottom and set the channels to 7.1 and then check swap rear and surround channels. Does that allow the center channel to be heard?

Hello noris,

thanks for the hint, unfortunately there is no effect, tried all combinations in MIDI Setup (8 / 7 / 6 / 5 channels each at 24 bit) and speaker configurations to assign/reassign LFE/Center to channel 3/4 and played around with Roon settings - audio - device setup 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1 as well as swap rear/surround channels without impact, the center speaker is either quiet or dull.

When I enable exclusive mode it says “audio device in use”.

The strange thing is that my surround test file works perfectly with VLC, it’s just within Roon that the Center is supressed.

Regards, Matt

P.S. Also tried HQPlayer to use its channel mapping, but do not get it running at all.

I gave up and sold my Mac Mini M1 :frowning:

Seems that I am not the only one who has trouble with the MMM1 and multichannel and downgraded quality

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.