Certain tracks missing in Roon

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar problem. I don’t know if you want me to post here or begin a new thread. But the basics are this: When Roon imported my library that largely sits in iTunes (and mostly ALAC files), I didn’t realize that some files didn’t import. When I checked “Skipped Files”, I saw about two dozen line items which I figured out were corrupt tracks that neither Roon, iTunes or the Mac Finder could read. I keep two copies of my library on different machines and both had the same problem so this has been a latent issue for years. It’s covers about 7 albums that I don’t listen to often so it’s not a huge deal so I’ve marked the problems, deleted the files and will get around to pulling the CDs out of the box in the basement and re-ripping eventually.

But what started this is that I noticed one track that never was imported (and later found the other track in the same folder was missed as well). Both of these tracks are 128kb MP3 files, not high resolution but certainly playable. But Roon seems to not only skip them but also doesn’t log that they were skipped. And finally, there is one ALAC files in my library that are marked as skipped but play just fine and isn’t corrupt as far as I can tell (but show up in Roon as “Audio Stream Format Not Supported”, which is how it marked the other unreadable ALAC files).

None of these tracks seem to have naming problems that would cause Roon to skip over them.

Any ideas?

Hey @Sevenfeet,

So we can better assist you, I’ve moved your post into it’s own thread.

There are several reasons why a track or album might not appear in Roon. We have some great documentation about why some files might not appear in Roon. I definitely recommend checking those articles out, it will likely point you on the right path.

Can you share a screenshot of these albums in their storage location?

Per our Skipped Files documentation:, these files may not work with Roon for a few reasons:

The file is may be valid, but Roon doesn’t support this format. It might use an unsupported codec (for example, an MPEG4 file with a .m4a extension where we couldn’t locate an AAC or ALAC track), use an unsupported sample rate or bit depth, be a video file, or otherwise be a type of media that Roon is not prepared to handle right now.

Thanks,
Dylan

I’ve already read the documentation files on why some files might not appear. It was useful to determine the files that were corrupt. But I still have the issue with the other files and frankly, I don’t know if it’s just these two files in question that keep getting skipped or if there are others. The number of files that Roon captured is pretty close to the number of non-protected files in the iTunes library so I feel it can’t be that far off.

Anyway, here is a screenshot of the missing files (MP3s). And as for the one remaining file that shows up in the skipped log but seems to not be corrupt (named “10 All Night Long.m4a”, a part of an album by Common), this file was ripped with iTunes ALAC as a part of a larger album so I’m puzzled as to why Roon would pass over it since it doesn’t seem to be particularly remarkable.

Any further ideas on this issue?

Hey @Sevenfeet,

Would you mind sharing one of the albums that’s experiencing this behavior with us?

Ideally, you can zip up the entire folder and send me private message containing a shared dropbox link. If you don’t have Dropbox or need another way to send the media, just let me know.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hey @Sevenfeet,

We were able to import the media you shared okay on our end. These tracks were identified as a different album, which may be why you’re not seeing them. The album it’s identified as is All I Want: A Tribute to Kodaline. You can manually edit this album to instead use the file tags once you’ve located these tracks.

Can you try doing a search in your Track Browser and see if you’re able to see these tracks?

1. Filter by Path
  2. Use iTunes Media/Music/Various Artists/Tenchi Muyo as the path.

Let me know if you see those tracks there.

Thanks,
Dylan

You know, in the nearly two months I’ve gotten to know Roon during this trial period, I’ve never used the track browser at all. Go figure. Yes, the files are in the track browser under the album “All I WantL A tribute To Koaline”. This is completely bizarre and makes no sense unless Roon is mistaking it for something else in the tags, but when I looked at it in iTunes (Get Info), I don’t see anything that would indicate something that Roon would latch onto for this mistaken identity.

These files are old napster-class stuff from Lord-knows-where. Most of these files in my collection from 15+ years ago were replaced with better (legal) ones, but I still have a few. But it doesn’t make sense why they are being matched like this. Any ideas?

Hey @Sevenfeet,

Looking at the tags, things look okay initially, but the team is going to look a little closer into why things might have been identified that way. In the meantime, the best option is to edit the album to use the album name from the file tags.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hey @Sevenfeet,

I wanted to reach out with some good news! The team has corrected the issue that was causing the incorrect identification of the Tenchi Muyo album. If you go to Edit > Reidentify you should find that we now identify the correct album here. Give is a try and let us know if you have any issues.

Thanks,
Dylan

Yup, that worked! Thanks for the follow-up!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.