Change of external HDD & music library mapping

Hello there

My HDD where all my music is dead on USB 3.0 but luckily enough it works on my old MacBook Air 2011 in USB 2.0, needless to say I am very sad. Stupid IT stuff.

So I need to buy a new HDD.

When I get the new HDD, what are your recommendation in naming? Shall I keep the same folder TOSHIBA EXT > FLAC and TOSHIBA EXT > SACD as before and how Roon will map all the songs correctly?

Can I just plug it back and find my library intact? I have a Roon backup from 2 days ago.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi @Gigatoaster,

When moving your library to a new storage location, Roon will identify the files and match the Roon database entries with the new storage path. The important thing here is to make sure to not have both storage locations active at the same time.

You’ll want to disable and remove the old watched folder from Settings > Storage and disconnect the drive if it’s still attached. Then you’ll want to add the new watched folder for the new external drive. Roon will then identify the files and you’ll be good to go!

If you have any questions or issues please let us know! It’s definitely best to make a backup before doing this just in case.

Thanks!
Dylan

Gotcha! Seems easy. Will try and get back to you.

Thanks for your prompt answer.

1 Like

After almost a day, I’m finally done with transferring all my library to a new HDD. I also made a copy on a new HDD.

The faulty one works perfectly on USB 2.0 so I’ll keep it.

I followed your instructions and waited a bit and all seems working well. My DAC was not recognized but after restarting the mini & Roon, it worked.

I’ll run more tests tomorrow so please don’t close yet this post.

Thanks a lot @dylan for your help & responsiveness.

1 Like