Changes not noticed [Ticket Open]

Hi @latenz ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback.

Moving forward, I would definitely switch your “minimum SMB-Protocol” back to SMB2, because as noted in the knowledge base link in my post…for best performance we recommend the use of either SMBv3 or SMBv2.

Furthermore, we’ve found that many NAS devices have issues properly communicating changes to the device they are communicating with. This behavior appears to be more pronounced with OSX based cores, but we have had reports of this occurring on other operating systems, as well.

Basically, when the OS is aware of a change on the network drive, it lets us know and we update your library immediately, but we don’t always get that notification in as timely a manner as we would like. However, in certain situations the OS can be unaware of changes, particularly if they are made directly to the network drive. If the OS fails to notice the changes, Roon isn’t notified, and the changes don’t show up in your library until a rescan is triggered.

Unfortunately, we’ve found that most NAS’s just silently report a subset of events, or none at all. We did some research and found that just about every piece of software that attempts to do “real time watching” on NAS’s eventually runs into this limitation, and supplements it with a periodic scan of the storage folder. Plex does it, JRiver does it, so do others, and so does Roon.

Brian discussed some of that here, although I should mention that a few things have changed since then. We have some new plans for improving our real-time scanning, but I don’t have a time frame to report on when that work will happen. In the meantime, we’ve also made the rescan period configurable, so you can have Roon scan more or less often depending on your situation.

-Eric