Changing Roon set up

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

HP Elitebook laptop

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB to Metrum Onyx

Description Of Issue

I have a paid subscription to Roon. Initially started off with installing the Core, app and endpoint all on the HP laptop using the USB to connect to my DAC. As I read, enjoy and learn more, I would like to only have Roon Core on the laptop and build a Raspberry PI4 for music playback using USB connection. Is there sonic benefits for this set up? How do I ‘downgrade’ the install on the HP laptop to Core only - do I need tp delete Roon and re-install on HP?

On the laptop you only need to install Roon; this is currently your Roon Core, App and endpoint in one download.

If you use a Raspberry Pi this will be an endpoint only (Roon Bridge), so you’ll still need the App or a Roon Remote device to control Roon.

Using a separate networked endpoint (Roon Bridge) is recommended by Roon and can have advantages over a direct connection to the Core, but it is not essential.

There is no need to “downgrade” Roon on the laptop. When you add a Bridge this will be recognised by Roon and you can enable it from Settings > Audio for playback.

1 Like

Hi Martin,

thank you for taking the time out to respond. I should have been a little clear; currently I am using an iPad and iPhone as Roon remote, so going forward don’t need an endpoint and remote on the laptop, freeing it for Core purpose only.

In that case how do I ‘downgrade’ the Roon software to run only the core on the laptop? Or do I need to backup, delete the install and re-install Roon as Core on the laptop?

Thanks,

I’ve owned an Onyx, and I found that it sounded better with a S/PDIF coax source than with USB, and even better with an I2S source. If you are willing to engage in a bit of DIY, I strongly recommend a Pi2AES shield with a Pi 3 or Pi 4, running Ropieee, and the additional RJ-45 I2S adapter, which is compatible with Metrum RJ-45 I2S. That would require that you get the Metrum I2S board to replace its USB board. If you don’t want to do that, even just the AES or S/PDIF coax connection from the Pi2AES should be an improvement over USB from your laptop.
PS: I currently own a Sonnet Morpheus, designed by the same designer as the Metrum DACs, which has the same kind of RJ-45 I2S interface as the Metrum DACs.

You can leave Roon (with GUI) running on the laptop or remove this and install Roon Server which has no graphical interface. If you do this, first take a backup of the Roon database as you will need to restore this to Roon Server.

Before deleting Roon w/ GUI including your database, be sure the Server version is running as expected and all your settings have transferred.

You will need to disconnect from the ‘old’ Roon before migrating and restoring your database. Go to Settings > General and click on Disconnect. It may be necessary to deauthorise the ‘old’ instance and/ or sign-in to Roon again.

I’ve linked to articles in the Knowledge Base; read these before starting and shout out if you are unsure or need help.

1 Like

@Fernando_Pereira
Are you using Pi3 or Pi4?

@Martin_Webster
Thank you. You added all the clarification I needed. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Pi 3B on one system, Pi 4B on the other.

I believe the Pi4 has a dedicated power and not sharing with USB. The USB should sound better with Pi4? Did you still find the S/PDIF coax to be an improvement?

I don’t use USB, just AES, S/PDIF coax, or I2S depending on the DAC. DACs vary a lot with respect to the relative quality of their inputs, or their ability to block electrical noise from noisy USB sources.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.