Changing the position of Roon DB does not work on the QNAP TS-451+

Hi all,
I created a folder in an external SSD drive attached to the NAS and in this folder I copied the Roon DB that I had on another drive.
I opened the Roon Core application (Picture 1) and:

• I selected the “Change position of database” command.
  • selected the new folder
  • application asks me if I want to restart the server right away
  • I select yes
  • back to the main page and the folder was not changed.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

Paolo

Pinging @crieke for you as he is the person most-likely able to answer your question.

1 Like

Current situation

• Roon Server and Roon Core installed on Qnap TS-451+ NAS (not the great one but it works)
  • Music files in a in a folder on a 2GB SSD (sandisk extreme pro) connected to NAS via USB 3.2 port
    I play music on my hifi system via wifi using my iphone or Mac.
    Also installed RoonArc: when I am outside occasionally the playback is jerky even if the signal is good. Five minutes pass and everything returns to normal.

I would like to improve performance when consulting the library so I thought of moving Roon Core to SSD (Sandisk extreme pro).
(1) I reinstalled Roon Server on the Nas.
(2) I indicated the folder where to place the Roon Core (I selected a folder on SSD).
(3) The system confirms the operation for me but when I return to the main page, Roon Server is in a suspended state and there is no folder in the box showing the database address.
I pointed to the old path on the NAS and everything works.
The SSD drive works: the music files are on it.
Can anyone give me some pointers to try to solve the problem?
Thank you

I’d had tried to:

• Stop the Roon Server app (use App Center)
  • Copy the old Roon Core directory to the SSD
  • Start the Roon Server app and point it to the new location

Thank you @BlackJack .
I did it.
But when I point to the new location on SSD with the “CHANGE POSITION OF DATABASE” function, the server reboots and keeps pointing to the previous location.

Check the logs, check access rights. Ping crieke again if doesn’t work.

grafik

Note: And please do not create another new support request for the same old issue again. Update this one instead.

@BlackJack thank you.
As soon as I have time I will check the access rights and sorry if I created a new request. I will continue to update this one. :pray:

An update on the problem.

I summarize the situation:

• Roon Server and Core installed on QNAP TS451+ NAS (not the optimal configuration but it works).
  • The Music files are in a 2GB SDD folder (SanDisk Extreme PRO) connected to the NAS via USB 3.2

In order to improve performance in managing the library I thought of moving Roon Core to the SSD and here lies the problem: when I change the address of the Roon Core folder, the server does not execute the command and changes its status to “suspended”.
I asked for help from @crieke who suggested formatting the SSD with ext4 filesystem (mine was formatted with HFS+ filesystem).
I did not immediately have another media available to make a backup, but his suggestion made me think of another attempt: create two partitions (i.e., create another partition) in the SSD (again HFS+):

• Partition 1 for music files
  • Partition 2 for Roon Core

At this point:

• On the server I changed the location of the folder pointing to Partition 2;
  • Stopped and restarted the server and this time the partition 2 folder was displayed;
  • I launched REMOTE on the MAC and selected the new CORE;
  • Entered user name and password and the system started scanning the music files;
  • I stopped the scan in Setting/Storage;
  • I restored the last backup I had made before moving the Core to partition 2

… and everything works except for one thing: AAC file playback.

I copied the FFMPEG file to the /RoonOnNas/bin folder of the new Core (the same file that was in the previous Core) but it does NOT work (even after stopping and restarting the server).

The very strange thing is that these music files are NOT played with ROON APP (iPhone) and ROON REMOTE (Mac). Instead, they are played correctly with ROON ARC (iPhone).

I cannot find a logical explanation for this problem: the Core is the same for both ROON ARC and both ROON REMOTE and ROON APP.

What do you think?
Thank you!!!

… I add an excerpt from the log file extracted from the server: indeed, it appears that the playback of AAC files is disabled, but it actually works with ROOM ARC-

############### Versione FFMPEG utilizzata ##############
ffmpeg version N-56723-ga4e518c321-static John Van Sickle - FFmpeg Static Builds Copyright (c) 2000-2021 the FFmpeg developers built with gcc 8 (Debian 8.3. 0-6) configurazione: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-static --disable-debug –disable-ffplay --disable-indev=sndio --disable-outdev=sndio --cc=gcc --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls - --enable-gmp --enable-libgme --enable-gray --enable-libaom --enable-libfribidi --enable-libass --enable-libvmaf --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable- libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librubberband --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libvorbis --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvidstab - --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libdav1d --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-libzimg libavutil 56. 72.100 / 56. 72.100 libavcodec 58.135.100 / 58.135.100 libavformat 58. 77.100 / 58. 77.100 libavdevice 58. 14.100 / 58. 14.100 libavfilter 7.111.100 / 7.111.100 libswscale 5. 10.100 / 5. 10.100 libswresample 3. 10.100 / 3. 10.100 libpostproc 55. 10.100 / 55. 10.100
##################################################

09.11.22-08:19:22 — RoonServer PID: 24218

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.