Changing Volumio to DietPi on Usbridge

Ordered a Usbridge for a friend. However this one came with Volumio (pre)installed. We want to have DietPi instead to use with Roon.
Is it OK to stick my own DietPi micro-sd (which came with my own Usbridge -> DietPi) in this one to get a DietPi install?

Thanks

If you do that then your unit will be inoperable. These units need a microSD card installed to work. It would be better to overwrite the microSD card in your friend’s unit with DietPi or better yet buy a new microSD card and run it off that so that you have the option of going back to Volume if the urge should hit.

Thanks! I just downloaded the image for DietPi_SparkySBC-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI and installed it on a fresh micro-sd card using Etcher. Wednesday I’ll have a try with sticking it in the Volumia-version of USBridge and see if DietPi is installed correctly. I’ll keep you informed…

If your USBridge is anything like mine, you’d probably like to re-image the internal eMMC instead. It is faster and for me, worked better with a stable install. An eMMC adapter is delivered with the USBridge, but dismantling and rebuilding the package requires some caution.
That said, the USBridge is supposed to boot from an inserted microSD also…

I can confirm that when a microSD card is inserted into the USBridge that the unit boots from the microSD card and bypasses the eMMC. That’s the way I ran mine when I had one.

And my USBridge didn’t behave like that, just sayin’ :slight_smile:
I had issues that seemed to stem from the Sparky reading from both cards. With the DietPi (non Allo) image on just the internal eMMC, everything has worked 100%.

Wow. That’s unlucky. That whole Sparky thing is the reason I sold mine. Never liked all the BS I had to go through just to do an update.

Just install RoonBridge in Volumio and you’re done. You can use one or the other. I use Volumio for Radio Paradise/Spotify, Roon for everything else.

1 Like

And eMMC is supposedly immune to corruption that can sometimes occur to microSD due to improper shutdown of device, e.g. power failure, etc…

Did you bother to read the original post? He said he wanted to run DietPi on the unit and not Volumio. Not sure how your post is helpful.

I assumed he wanted a way to run Roon. I offered an alternative to dietpi with some advantages. Yes, I know how to read. Relax.

Very relaxed. You know what happens when you assume.

Yes, I tend to throw conventional wisdom out the window, sometimes with great results.

I prefer to have DietPi_SparkySBC-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI installed properly on the internal eMMC but haven’t found an ‘easy’ instruction how to do it. I thought rebooting with the external eMMC / micro SD do the install. Or???

I’m sorry, that’s too technical for me :frowning:
I’ll try to find someone who’s able to do it for me in my region.