Channel balance issue (build 291)

I have noticed a weird channel balance issue recently. Sometimes the sound is coming mainly from the left speaker and the stereo image is therefore clearly leaning to the left hand side. There is still some sound coming from the right speaker. The channel balance just isn’t correct.

This has happened now couple of times with the build 291. This was not happening earlier.

I have Roon Server running 24/7 on a Windows 10 desktop computer (i7-6700K, 16GB RAM, SSDs, 2* GTX-1070). I’m streaming to Devialet 1000 Pro (Core Infinity board installed) using Wifi. The computer is connected to Netgear Orbi with Ethernet cable. The Orbi also creates the Wifi.

The problem can be solved simply by rebooting the computer and the Devialet. Not a big issue therefore, but it would be nice if this wouldn’t happen ever.

Would @support have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks for the report @Petri and my apologies for the slow response here.

Moving forward, can you confirm if you still are experiencing this behavior with build 294? Furthermore, would you kindly provide a screenshot of your signal path leaving Roon when you make this observation:

“…the sound is coming mainly from the left speaker and the stereo image is therefore clearly leaning to the left hand side. There is still some sound coming from the right speaker. The channel balance just isn’t correct.”)

-Eric

Hi @Eric

Yes, I’m experiencing this behavior also with build 294.

Here is a screenshot of the signal path, I hope this helps:

That is a heck of a signal path. Did you try turning all the EQ off and see if the problem still remained?

Although I don’t carry Devialet anymore I was a dealer for a long time. It was quite common to get a similar complaint from customers and in every case it turned out that they had accidentally adjusted the balance control.

Unfortunately, depending on the button configuration, it was quite easy to accidentally adjust the balance without realizing it. If I recall correctly the setting would return to center after power cycling the Devialet. If you haven’t done so already check the balance setting on the Devialet the next time you have this problem.

Hi @Rugby

Thanks for asking. I’m just using Procedural EQ to fix bass issues. I haven’t tried without PEQ because it sounds so terrible without it.

Everything works fine for a while if I change inputs, for example AIR -> AirPlay -> AIR, and click Play on Roon. Alternatively I can reboot the computer and Devialet and everything works just fine for a while. This channel balance issue comes back after some time.

Here are screenshots of the PEQ that I’m using.

Left speaker:

Right speaker:

Then some “house curve”:

Thank you for this suggestion. I will check the channel balance when this issue happens next time.

I believe that this is not happening on my case because I am not using the physical remote control at all. I am mainly using the Devialet app on iPad. It’s impossible to adjust channel balance on that app.

Maybe it’s a possible hardware issue on the Devialet does it happen on other inputs or do you only use with Roon?

I have been doing more testing recently and the problem seems to occur also with Airplay (Tidal on iPad -> Airplay -> Devialet). Therefore this problem is not related to Roon.

Thank you for the help :slight_smile: