Choppy playback on Ropieee

Hello,
I’ve just setup my first Ropieee endpoint, and so far I’m only getting stuttering playback, both via ethernet over power and wifi. At first I got nothing at all. I thought it might be the cable connecting the Pi to the Dac. So, I switched over to a new cable. That helped, but still stuttering. Then I thought maybe it was the flat ethernet cables I was using and changed those out, but it’s still stuttering, both playing local files and streaming files from Qobuz. I turned off USB audio as I’m using the coaxial output on the hat.

• Raspberry Pi 3B+ with JustBoom Digi Hat
  • coaxial out
  • Ropieee 2022.06 (0351)
  • ethernet over power
  • wifi
  • Topping MX5

It’s not feeling very plug and play right now. :frowning:

Ethernet over power can be as bad if not worse than WiFi connection.

What bitrates are you trying?

Do try a direct Ethernet cable to the rpi from your router/switch bypassing EoP and WiFi.

If your core which you don’t give any details of is underpowered or still busy analyzing music etc could be an issue also.

Much more info needed

1 Like

Each one I’ve built has begun by stuttering a bit for the first few plays. Reboot it a couple of times and maybe leave it playing silently. If that doesn’t settle it down then look at other possibilities.

1 Like

Ethernet over power can be as bad if not worse than WiFi connection.

What bitrates are you trying?

Do try a direct Ethernet cable to the rpi from your router/switch bypassing EoP and WiFi.

If your core which you don’t give any details of is underpowered or still busy analyzing music etc could be an issue also.

Much more info needed

Thank you very much for the speedy reply! I’ve now got an ethernet cable going from my router directly to my pi and it’s still stuttering. I’m using an 8th gen i3 NUC with Rock install. The direct line has made a big difference, but there’s still some stutter. A lot less, but still some. My ethernet cable is about 30m long :smiling_face:. I’m guessing that could be an issue.
P.S. Playing 44.1kHz 16bit.

30m is not an issue…300m might be

1 Like

Thank you! That’s great to hear. So a bit of “running it in” might sort it out? On it. Thank you.

Is that PoE (power over Ethernet, but you should have a proper hat) or Power Line with Wi-Fi ? “Ethernet over power” is a confusing term.
If you are talking about the latter doesn’t it have an Ethernet port too?

I was using an adapter that runs ethernet over the local power lines. It doesn’t work well. I’ve been schooled, and I’ve abandoned it for a long ethernet cable plugged directly into my router…

If you haven’t disabled WiFi then do so, maybe you are still running over WiFi even tho the Ethernet is plugged in unless you restarted the rpi.

And the latest ropieee update breaks WiFi too….so Ethernet is your best bet right now on ropieee 06-2022

I’ve run upwards of 10 ropieee endpoints at one time and WiFi on a robust network is normally not an issue up to say 24/96 bitrates

Some of what is running now

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I don’t have wifi enabled.

… is known to cause trouble in more cases than not.
Just for a test, connect via Ethernet cable and report back, please.

1 Like

… sorry for useless post, as the thread didn’t display all the other posts for me until after I submitted…

1 Like

Thank you for responding. Always appreciated.

I can report it’s now running without stutter and without crackling. I’ve opted to use the optical connection instead of coaxial into the Topping MX5. When I first plugged in the optical cable there was heaps of crackling. I set DSP sample rate conversion to “For compatibility only” and the crackling stopped. I suspect it’s a settings issue for the DAC, not an endpoint problem.

Thank you all for your help. I’m very impressed with the sound from the little device.

P.S. If anyone is having similar issues these are the things I’ve discovered about my Topping MX5’s optical and coaxial inputs:

• Don’t send them a signal above 176.4kHz or you’ll get hiss and crackle
  • You can use default upscaling settings for anything below that
  • In sample rate conversion I selected “Custom” and made these changes:
    (edited image as I realised I wasn’t upsampling where I could):

1 Like

So if you fall back to the WiFi/EoP etc does it still work fine? While neither connection is ideal they maybe will work fine for some deployments. Just remember to reduce the most likely culprits out of the equation and document as you go.

I often find a mud map - as an Aussie you should know that meaning :upside_down_face: so you have a clear picture of the pressure points in play.

Topping make some great kit but there are some known issues with coax and spdif on some products

1 Like

Spot on! Given the wifi is working great, I might not bother with the EoP. I bought it assuming wired to be superior to wifi, but if it’s not … Yes, all about the mud maps. I’m only changing one thing at a time, I promise. Thank you!

3 Likes

Glad to see that it worked out for you @Fiona_Thurn !

Regards Harry

1 Like