Chord Dave, can you stream to it?

HI, I am wondering does the DAVE DAC have the ability to take a wireless stream from Roon or would I need a separate streamer attached to it? I have a need for a DAC with a AES input and volume control in a studio I’m putting together and though it would be a plus if it works with Roon as well since I have that going to a number of endpoints in my home. I’m guessing it’s not a RAAT endpoint, just a little confused what Roon tested means and what is the point if you still need a streaming box hooked to it. you can hook to any DAC via digital out of a streaming box?

The Dave does not have an integrated network streamer module. You must use another device.

Roon Ready == built-in network streamer tested by Roon
Roon Tested == USB (or other connection) tested by Roon, but no built-in steamer module.

1 Like

OK thanks, I figured. Do you know what the point of calling it a Roon tested DAC is? wouldn’t any DAC that can take a digital out work with Roon?

Some USB-connected DACs are finicky or downright buggy. This often manifests itself in audible pops when switching sample rates, or between PCM and DSD. Or worse – some get severely confused and stop responding.

1 Like

OK got it thanks. Just trying to wrap my head around all this stuff

I believe all the tested dacs have plug and play presets setup when connected to usb. Nothing really to configure. Plus you get the little device artwork to match.

And for steaming, I was just using a MacBook Pro but just order this streamer:

It’s roon ready, so should be easy to setup.

I was thinking of buying that streamer for my office but ended up with Allo Usbridge Signature with the better power supply. But now feel I might have taken a wrong turn there. :sweat_smile: please report your experience with the Link Streamer 2 when you get it

Just got the Link II. Easy setup. Plug in power cord, usb to dac, and Ethernet and hit power and within a minute roon finds it. Exactly the setup I was looking for. It’s about the size of 3 iPad mini’s stacked or a Hugo 2. Solid aluminum case with good weight for the size.

As far as sound quality I’m using Chord mscaler/Dave combo and noticeable improvement over the Mac mini I was previously using. Smoother sound, more weight, bigger soundstage. Also was using MacBook Pro and improvement is less so but still can tell smoother sound and overall better listening experience.

Switching from Mac mini to MacBook Pro showed me different sources matter so that’s why wanted a dedicated roon endpoint but not one of the crazy high end streamers. So far very happy with the Link II.

1 Like

Are you still happy, or have you hit any glitches? Is the Roon Ready issue sorted?

I’m still very happy with it. Never saw any issues with certification on my end. Sound quality of my Dave/mscaler is the best I’ve heard it now. Made sure only the Dave and the Link are plugged directly into the wall and everything else moved to another outlet. That seemed to be final improvement in my system. Still using stock power cord and usb.

Owner emailed see if I had any questions and asked him why network light blinks even though it’s connected. He said it’s a know bug but and will be fixed in next update which is automatic.

Great, thank you for the feedback. I believe they are working on a power supply - it was mentioned on another forum. Have you heard anything about it?

Yes, someone pm’d me on head-fi that can get linear power supply for it but not on their website yet. They got for their original Link and said it improved things. However they said cost is £350 which is about $450. Not sure it’s worth it.

Even for Dave just using stock cord and no power conditioning. Rob Watts just said to make sure it had its own outlet is all. Not sure what linear power supply would bring to Link II. For mscaler I got a Poweradd battery and that did improve things but only cost $100. Probably could get another one just for the Link II if wanted clean power.

1 Like

Which other forum is discussing this product? I only found out about from the Dave thread on head-fi. Wasn’t too much info but compared to other products but looked like it what I was looking for. Even though based off raspberry pi board, it wasn’t just a hat add on and nice case. Had a lot more work going on.

Believe it’s very similar to another product call pro-ject. Same designer but this had better power filtering and casework. And think Link II widened gap further.

There are a few posts about it on pinkfishmedia, including some from stack audio themselves. I think that’s where I heard about the power supply.

Link II just got update and light no longer flashes. Not sure if brought any other changes with it. They sent me an email about the update. Good customer service. I didn’t ask about the linear power supply since don’t intend to buy it.

1 Like

I tested the usb out of my Nuc directly into the mscaler vs coming from the Link II. The Nuc still sounds pretty good but it’s flatter in comparison. The Link II has a darker background with deeper soundstage and more liquid sound. I was almost hoping there was no difference so I could return it.

Originally I had my core on an iMac in another room but now have a Nuc setup near my headphone setup. Figured having separate endpoint a good idea in case changes are needed but wasn’t necessary if no difference in sound quality. But it’s not a major difference but enough to get more pleasure out of the listening experience.

Chord has the 2go streamer that attaches smoothly to a Hugo 2.
But it is designed so it can drive other devices, should work with Dave, maybe not as slick.
I have a Hugo TT 2 + M-Scaler, the 2go should work there, haven’t tried it.

Here’s more info about the power supply in case you change your mind.

You are probably thinking of the 2go + 2yu combo. Not 2go alone.