Chord Electronics 2GO Roon endpoint "and Server"

Settings can be accessed in “Settings”.

grafik

As it reads Chord Mojo: You might have to force close the app and start again to be able to select a different Chord device.

I’ve been using my Hugo 2+2go with reasonable success to stream from my home Roon server while sitting in the garden working, controlled from my Android phone. I’ve also tested the same setup with BubbleUPnP on my Android phone and a microSD with a portion of my local library serving MPD on the 2go to listen to music while on vacation. However, BubbleUPnP+MPD are so inadequate compared with Roon, that I started wondering about creating a travel Roon server, a small Linux box with enough SSD for my moderately-sized local connection. I could just use a NUC (I have a spare of those) but I’d prefer something fanless for maximum quiet and sturdiness. OTOH, NUC fanless assemblies from eg. Akasa are just too bulky. My ideal setup would be something that fits with the Hugo 2 +2go in a nice Pelican case… Ideas? I’m happy to mess around with software, but I’d prefer the hardware to be pre-assembled for reliability and sturdiness.

ODroid H2 seems to be an SBC who might be able to serve you for that. @Jacques_Distler appears to have one running with success.

https://www.hifizine.com/2019/07/roon-server-on-odroid-h2/

I don’t know if there are pre-assembled builds available though.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s interesting. I may end up going for a pricier pre-assembled fanless NUC (PrimeMini 4) which is exactly the right size for my purpose, but I’ll research the the H2+ (H2 successor) first.

The H2+ is virtually identical to the original H2, but uses a CPU that Intel is actually “committed” to producing (the J4115), as opposed to the J4105, which was perpetually out-of-stock.

Harware “assembly” is minimal:

• Stick the NVME SSD in its slot and secure with the provided screw.
  • Snap the RAM modules into place. (You definitely want dual-channel RAM.)
  • Plug in the RTC battery.
  • Put the board in its case.

Won’t take more than 5 minutes, total.

Configuring the OS (I use Ubuntu) on first boot was the more time-consuming step (requires a monitor and keyboard; you can run headless after that).

Thanks! I’m pretty familiar with setting up Ubuntu, my main and backup NUC cores are on Server 20.04 LTS. My only reservation is that I’d prefer a fanless assembly, even if more expensive.

The H2+ is fanless. And runs very cool (39-40 ℃).

Oh, was I misled by the cases with fans they show on the site? Edit: Never mind, misread the site, duh. Thanks again!

You can add a fan, at least with some of the cases. But the standard type 2 case is designed to be fanless.

Did you ever get a proper reply to this? I am seeing the same limitation.

I returned the 2go shortly after posting that message. I didn’t geta response.

However after some further research at the time, I found out that it was because the 2go was connected by wifi. If connected by ethernet, you should get the full range.