Chord Poly + Roon

Thanks for the intro! Much appreciated!

You do not have the option to send DSD as DoP in Audio Setup of the Poly?
(Just as you would when the Mojo is connected directly to an USB-port of your Roon Bridge, that is…)

ATB Mike

If not then that can be a non-starter for me with Poly.

And using SD card, i already have AK380 so i am not looking for yet another standalone DAC for use with mobile phone.

And airplay, bluetooth, i’m not going to use, nor interested.

I wonder if i need to reach out to Chord directly, but i would have expected the Poly to provide network attachment to allow Mojo to be used as its full DAC capability for PCM and DSD, with Roon, as if cabled up using USB between Roon (bridge) and Mojo.

Roon -> DSD -> conversion -> PCM -> Poly -> Mojo = disappointment, IMHO

Perhaps, SW/FW update is what’s needed after Poly 1.0 release.

Thanks,

Well, perhaps this (baseline) tells me that Poly is non-starter in my wireless environment…

I have hooked up the Mojo using USB to my laptop, loaded Roon on it locally (though the Roon server is on a different beefier SSD machine). Connected laptop to 2.4 wireless LAN, sitting right in from the access point, full signal strength (and AP connected wire to network switch over 1 GbE to Roon server box). Used the laptop to play few dsd128 and dsd256.

Result: not good, drops, gaps, etc.

dsd64 - good.

24/384, 24/192 - ok.

24/96 - good.

Perhaps this wireless with Roon is not the way to go.

Do some digging, i’m sure there are discussions around Roon and wireless end points.

Update: tried AK380 over DLNA to play same dsd128/dsd256 contents, no drops. Why is that…

I’ve been considering Mojo+Poly. Good integration with Roon will be the deciding factor for me. Does anyone have any other experiences they could share? Thank you in advance.

They are supposed to be arriving at the dealers in the US this week, so we should know something soon from those with pre-orders in.

Karl

Just to clarify, Mojo does does play DSD with Dop and has worked fine via USB and through my atom based end point with Roon bridge. However with poly the ability to set up dop for DSD is missing in the setup menus and it shows as uncertified.

Supposedly DSD via Roon to the Poly will be in the next firmware release. It’s in beta testing now. It’s a good thing because DLNA is flakey with dropouts and the Poly completely dropping off the network when doing DLNA, at least for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. That’s good to hear. Between that and the new app it’s looking like some major improvements coming.

I just got my Poly a few days ago. I have to say a portable wireless Roon endpoint for headphone listening, the Mojopoly is very compelling—more than I ever expected. I move all over the house with it. (Current Poly setup is a less-than-delightful out-of-the-box experience, but it does work.) I had forgotten just what a wonderful DAC the Mojo is.

Looking forward to DSD support in the next firmware release and the forthcoming iOS app. And if/once MQA software unfolding comes to Roon, it’ll be an even more awesome combination.

I suppose the interest in the Poly faded quite significantly with the release of iOS bitperfect playback for many of us.

But, how are things working out for those of you that use the Poly? Either as a Roon Endpoint or any other form of player.

Head over to HeadFi and check out the almost 300 pages of comments. The only thing I can do reliably with mine is connect to the Poly as a WiFi hotspot and play music off it’s internal SD card - something I don’t really need a Poly for. With Roon or DLNA - forget it. It has major issues with at least some WiFi networks. On mine, it was constantly jumping around between WAPs (even though it was stationary) and every time it would jump, I would get a drop out or a complete disconnect. I tried to solve the problem by setting up a specific SSID that is only associated with one WAP but it didn’t help. I was on the phone with Meraki support for over an hour trying to figure it out but all we could see from the logs is the Poly would issue a disconnect for some unknown reasons. I forwarded logs and all the info to Chord and haven’t heard a peep from them since. There are others on the forum who say their Poly’s are working fine but I haven’t seen many (or any) who are streaming Roon. Most are using the Poly/Mojo combo as a DAP and playing music off the local SD card, which seems to be what it does best. Fixes are promised in the next firmware release, so I would wait to see if Chord can sort out all the issues. Right now, it is a beta product at best. Mine is on the shelf awaiting the next firmware drop.

3 Likes

My MojoPoly works perfectly well for me using either the internal SD card, Airplay, Bluetooth and Roon. No problems at all streaming hires files via Roon. I suffer occasional dropouts at the far end of my house, but that is down to strength of network coverage - as soon as I move closer into the room, all works fine. The best sound quality is with Roon using crossfeed and an Audeze EQ preset - it sounds really very good. Those who have problems are, quite naturally, the ones that post the most about their experience. For those for whom it all works, they just get on with using and enjoying the device.

2 Likes

The challenge is since Chord has not identified under what conditions, networks, devices, use cases, etc their product works and when it won’t, it’s a total crapshoot to buy one unless you get a money-back return policy from your dealer. Plus they delivered the product with any control software, making simple things like configuration or mode switching a royal pain. No one is saying that there aren’t some people, possibly many people, for whom the Poly works great. But there are enough complaints out there from people for whom the Poly doesn’t work that a potential buyer should use caution and have their eyes open when considering a purchase. My dealer (an authorized Chord dealer) won’t even sell them any more. He said the customer support hassles eat up all of his profit and it just isn’t worth it. He initially bought 4 and 3 don’t work or were returned.

1 Like