Chord Poly + Roon

So I just read this on Headfi: Poly, an accessory to the Chord Mojo that is Roon enabled. Seems like a very good solution for small spaces (such as mine) and potentially also an all-in-one (or rather three in one, since you need a Mojo, a Poly and a smartphone) DAP with amazing sound quality.

In my very limited experience with DACs and streamers (CambridgeAudio DacMagic, Bifrost Multibit and Dragonfly Red, plus Bluesound Node 1st gen), the Mojo is so much better.

I can see the combo Mojo+Poly replacing my Node/Bifrost in my living room.

Though I’d like to see Ethernet or at least 5GHz wifi. Because you can’t comment on a new product without complaining, right?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a video:

Cheers

I’m really excited about the poly. I’ve been using the Mojo with my Linux based Roon server. Now this enables me to have the server elsewhere with the addition of this little device.
Any idea of release date?

Does anyone have any idea what the Poly will cost?
I’ll add a link to the Chord page.

Its obviously Linux based as it can play music from SD with MPD, so is it basically a NanoPi?

Looks like ÂŁ499

2 Likes

I just received an email from Moon Audio, announcing that the Poly can now be pre-ordered for US$629 with delivery expected in April.

Anyone seen this product yet? Or did it just go away?

From their website, expected Autumn/Winter 2017 (guessing UK).

This review says launch is October: http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/chord-mojo-poly

I hadn’t seen that one, but on the other hand it didnt contain much info either, besides the launch date.
I can imagine they are having issues getting the Mojo to stay immune to WLAN and Bluetooth RFI. This conclusion may be all wrong though, but i have had good reason to believe it is particularly sensitive to that kind of RFI.

No problem. You asked if it had gone away, so at least the launch date mentioned might explain why things have been quiet.

1 Like

It may not have gone away but it is certainly slipping in that direction. Delivery dates have gone from an original of May -> July -> Fall/Winter 2017, which could mean as late as March 2018. That would be almost a year after it was announced. They must be having some kind of hard issue they haven’t been able to resolve.

Hello,

Looks like Poly is now closer to getting shipped from authorized dealers, eg. Moon Audio now shows pre-order ships this month, October.

Bit pricey, nearly 2x the Mojo price.

I’m bit skeptical (or more like hopeful) that the Poly can stream well the higher bit rate contents (eg. dsd128, 24/192khz), with Roon involved, perhaps may highlight some weak spot(s) in my home wireless setup. I’ve never had wireless setup with Roon, all been with wired with various components.

Anyone has the Poly on their radar?

Few reviews are already published, and seem promising, though i wouldn’t mind getting review with actually Roon involved.

Thanks.

Mine is on its way to me, should be here in 2 days. will report back here. Hope it can handle highres files via wlan 2,4GHz. Also waiting for my Sennheiser HD 660 s to arrive.

An interesting price …when you can put together a Pi and Digi One/USB for one fifth the price?
I would rather Chord came out with their version of the micro Rendu. This would network enable all their DACs potentially with one universal box.

i think they are aimed at different markets though. The Pi isn’t a mobile device that you can pick up from where it is plugged in to the man rig and put it in your pocket to work as a DAP, with 10+ hour battery life, playing songs from the MicroSD card, with the UI being on your phone.

Indeed, but most of that functionality already exists in the standalone mojo when plugged into a phone. I just see it as an opportunity missed I guess for the rest of the Chord DACs. I hope it is a big seller for them and encourages development of a more universal device. I also hope I can afford one if they do. :grinning:

1 Like

I guess the Poly does take away that cable between phone and DAC - but as you say at a considerable cost!

To be honest I’ve given up on the whole idea of having a top end source when mobile because the noise around me when walking, in the car, train, underground, bus etc etc is always greater than the difference between an indifferent source and a great one.
I’ll stick to my phone and my etymotics to lose a few DBs of noise in travelling and my Pi and DAC for home.

2 Likes

Hmm…

My other (real) setup uses the micro rendu (with linear PS) to the Brooklyn DAC, balanced line out to the OPPO HA-1 headphone amp. Roon and HQPlayer providing the contents.

My goal with Poly was to do something similar to make Mojo network enable. I would still prefer wired, over wireless.

But now, with this Pi and Digi One/USB combination, would that allow me to, on a less cost side, build something like the micro rendu rig, hook up USB to Mojo, and drive the Mojo DAC from Roon? And sound acceptable?

If so, then i’ll need to see if i can add network attachment to Mojo through that route. I’m sure there are ton of discussions about how to go about doing exactly that.

I did consider the Sonicorbiter SE but that’s ~$300, or more once you add PS.

If someone can just mention, go get this Pi based setup with this transport module, then perhaps that is acceptable outcome for me.

Portability, being mobile with Poly is good add-on, but i usually stay stationary in a quiet listening room at home, and jam out with Roon and HQPlayer through headphone listening.

Thanks.

1 Like

There are lots of Pi Mojo threads, for example.

CHORD Mojo & Poly = HighRes to go?

So, today arrived my Poly. I charged it for 6 Hours as they recommend and tried for 2 Hours to connect to it to load the Network-Settings to the Poly.

But it simply didn’t work, the network-settings simply didn’t get saved. In such a case it’s good to have a great Dealer. A Support call later and i got the Solution: The Chord Poly didn’t accept Special Chars in the Network-Settings. So i changed my Network-Password to chars/numbers only and finally could connet to the Mojo.CHORD is aware of this Problem and works on a Solution. Now onto the Roon-Setup. There are two Possible Network Settings for the Poly:

• ROON
  • Other (Airplay, MPD, UPnP)

To switch between this 2 Settings you have to use a Tool which looks like a SIM-Card-Removal Tool to point into a small hole and hold the so enabled switch for 5 Seconds. After that, the unsafe Network of the Poly gets engaged and you must Connect to this via the Network-Settings in your iDevice or Computer to reach the Page where you can Switch between this 2 possible Network-Settings. This is awkward, to say the least, i hope they come up with a better solution to this problem in an upgrade, especially when i think about the price for this otherwise powerful Mojo-Extension. I would like to have a First come first serve solution comparable to the RasPi Solutions so that i can use Airplay and later simply fire up Roon and the Poly switches automatically to Roon via Software without fiddeling with SIM-Removal-Tools to switch to settings. CHORD even goes so far to recommend to add the sim-removal tool to you’re keyring so that you can always change network-settings while on the go.

In the Roon Audio Setting youre Mojo-Poly Device gets recognized and you can choose it as your Audio-Device. While we can choose it in Roon, it is marked with a red “Uncertified”, like this:

The Audio-Settings of the CHORD Poly in ROON are somewhat castrated and looks different then the usual Audio Settings. For example you cannot see which Sample-Rates the Device supports. One has to keep in Mind that CHORD has choosen to connect the Poly via 2,4 GHz WLAN to get a more stable connection then with 5GHz. So what Sample Rates are possible over a 2,4GHz Connection? I choosed to throw a DSD 256 File at the Mojo-Poly Combo. While it sounds great i could see in the play-settings that my small sample-rate Point was blueish, the DSD 256 gets converted to a 352 Khz PCM File.

Mojo only supports DSD over PCM. I didn’t try the DSP-Engine with the combo yet. But hey: the Sound is great!

Another great usage-scenario for the poly is to add a big micro sd-card with 256 or 400 GB. So you can have a lot of Highres music on the go, unthetered from you’re Smartphone or Tablet or network/NAS. But to control the music you need to use a Phone/Tablet, Computer anyway, so why not use a Lightning cable to the usb of the Mojo in the first place? 500 to 600 Euros are without question alot of money to just cut the chord between smartphone and Mojo.

OK, there is the Micro-SD Card thing and the added possibility to use Airplay and/or UpnP. In my case, i use the Mojo Poly combo as a more convenient solution for running around the house with Headphones and i too will connect the combo to my Amp. But the unconvenience to switch between Roon and Airplay bites me hard.

2 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for providing this review.

In your wireless environment, did you notice any drops, gaps and such in playback of higher res content, dsd128/dsd256, 24/192?

Interesting that Roon was not able to display what sampling frequencies in PCM and DSD that the Chord Mojo supports behind the Poly network attachment. Odd…

But i’m not getting the above comment about dsd256 getting converted to PCM.

Why is that occurring?

Is that because Roon is not able to fully interrogate, and discover Mojo DAC behind Poly?

Thanks.