Chromecast and Chromecast Audio Disappear Every Day

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i3-1005G1, 4GB RAM, SSD, Roon build 756

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Google WiFi, core on WiFi. Music on Synology NAS and streamed via Tidal.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chromecast (all versions), Chromecast Audio, Pro-ject S2 DACs on USB connected to core (and others).

Description Of Issue

I’ve read most if not all the topics regarding problems with Roon not seeing Chromecast devices on the network, but I think my issue is slightly different.

Every night (or perhaps this is just a coincidence as we’re not playing audio), all my CC and CCA devices disappear out of Roon across all remotes, yet they are available to Google Home and other devices that can cast. The other Roon end points all remain, and music can be accessed from my NAS.

The problem is fixed by rebooting the PC on which the Roon core is running, then all the CC and CCA devices immediately reappear. But the next day… same thing all over again. It’s a huge inconvenience, especially as the core is tucked away.

I’ve disabled the Windows Firewall completely, looked for any scripts - this is basically a clean Windows machine with nothing additional installed other than Roon - added firewall rules (even though it’s off) and checked everything I can think of. There are no sleep settings enabled, so any suggestions would be really welcome.

Thank you!

Hi @Stuart-R

Does this always happen at about the same time?

Has it ever happened while playback to these devices was occurring?

Hi @dylan and thanks for the reply.

It seemed to be happening around the same time every day, but overnight so I couldn’t pinpoint when or determine if it would happen with anything playing. I’d go into the kitchen in the morning and find the zone had disappeared requring the reboot.

However, I think I’ve fixed the problem by installing Kaspersky Internet Security on the core PC. I’ve not configured it with any exceptions, but the key is that it’s own firewall takes over from Windows Defender and disables it completely, and that seems to have done the trick.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.