Chromecast Audio as endpoint? [Delivered; B333]

To be fair, LMS no longer has Sirius support.

Streaming directly from the net to the chromecast, in others words Casting is something else as streaming from your laptop to another device over wifi. Lot’s of public and/or hotel wifi allows you to do the first but not the latter.

Yes, very good point. Happened to me a few times. There are awkward workarounds making a hotspot. It would be great if Roon could streamline that.

But it hadn’t occurred to me that there were Bluetooth receivers without the bulk of active speakers. Anything you have come across you would recommend with an off the pace TV you typically find in a hotel room?

Nice and small, quality about the same as the chromecast.

Had that exact one – sounded horrible. Way worse than a Chromecast Audio (kept that one – it’s spending its days making itself comfortable in the ‘stuff that may come in handy one day’ drawer).

Depends on the bluetooth transmitter. With apx it is not that bad, well it is not highend offcoarse but so aren’t the hotel tv’s it is supposed to work on in this case.

So? LMS is freeware at this point. And it at least has had a complete Internet radio solution built in for years. Roon doesn’t even have that unless you enjoy cutting and pasting URLs.

Roon handles the management of a local music library extremely well. Tremendous artist and genre control. But it handles hardware compatibility and control, and other Internet music sources, not as well. Which is surprising, considering its cost, and that the issues have been raised and have remained unresolved for so long. This is not inexpensive software. I understand that Roon’s biggest expense is the database licensing fees. But still, Casting to a speaker, listening to a Sirius subscription, or browsing Internet radio stations is not cutting-edge stuff anymore.

And now I would also add that Roon needs a basic library directory browser option. Automatically tossing any album that it can’t recognize or catalog into an unknown album, artist or various artist bucket effectively buries it. I have many old, long out of print albums that are not in the big databases, but are easily located in their assigned directory branch. Alphabetical filing still has a useful role even today.

Nah… This was from my MBP (AptX enabled) with the Logitech hooked up to a not-too-shabby Meridian F80 in a holiday home. In the end I picked up a €10 minijack cable – much better.

But yes, we can agree that if a hotel room TV is the target, none of this matters much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup. I love what Roon does to my home system. But I need what what Plex does to my road system.

1 Like

+1
Please add Chromecast Audio support to Roon!

yes that would be great, same for me.

Cancelled my trial membership. No Chromecast Audio support.

It’s interesting that the reason you cancel a trial is because of the lack of a feature Roon never had, never advertised and is only on a wish list.
Hopefully it will come one day and you’ll be back as Roon is not a static product. It is evolving fast.
I would have thought all the other UI features, to many to list , would have been important. If they are not enough then maybe Roon will never be for you. I expect it’s not for everyone, which is ok.

5 Likes

Chromecast doesn’t even work well directly from Tidal, so I imagine that it would be very difficult for Roon to implement it reliably. It seems you need to have the resources of a Google/Spotify/Pandora in order to iron out the bugs. If you look around at all the other lossless multi-room systems that offer Tidal access (Heos, Fireconnect, Play-fi, etc.), they all have terrible reviews. I’m abandoning Roon as well (because I want to be able to edit my playlists in the car and at home), but they seem to be better than anyone at multi-room lossless streaming, probably because they only implement a new type of endpoint when they can do it with a high degree of reliability.

I’m not sure if your tone of voice is helping anyone.

Roon is an extremely cool product, built by a small but very talented team that puts it’s heart and soul into it. And yeah, there might be things in the product that you miss or want. But coming over here and telling what’s wrong with it with a tone of “how difficult can it be?” doesn’t do the guys justice. The team listens carefully to their customers, but that doesn’t mean they can (and will) deliver ‘on demand’.

4 Likes

Blockquot And now I would also add that Roon needs a basic library directory browser option. Automatically tossing any album that it can’t recognize or catalog into an unknown album, artist or various artist bucket effectively buries it. I have many old, long out of print albums that are not in the big databases, but are easily located in their assigned directory branch. Alphabetical filing still has a useful role even today.

Just use your file data, Roon will display that so nothing is tossed anywhere as far as I can see.

1 Like

Tone? That’s a response based solely on defensive emotions.

This is not about emotion or feelings. I stated an objective set of concerns and issues over a rather expensive piece of subscription audio software. That a $120/yr piece of subscription audio software is incapable of Chromecast streaming in 2018 is unacceptable in this market. Chromecast is now a primary standard. It is not going away. Ignoring or explaining away the problem doesn’t solve it.

And saying something is 'cool" and qualifying the talent of the developer doesn’t solve problems or push product advancement. It reeks of a defensive fanboy echo chamber.

The ‘demand’ for Chromecast here has been outstanding for well over two years. How long does this ‘cool’ and ‘very talented team’ need?

The other product shortcomings are sufficient in their own right. Pasting URLs to tune in a radio station is ridiculous. But lack of Chromecast by itself is enough reason to not buy this product. When they improve their product, I’ll reconsider it.

Roon do not promise Chomecast at this time. If they do they will say so. It’s on the wish list and may we’ll be being developed. I don’t know. The developers are not fools they know all this stuff. They also know the problems and restrictions. Also consider there may be NDA considerations.
I would see Chromcast as a nice add on but not my main Roon end point. Certainly not a deal breaker. There are myriad quality products for that at all price levels and the list is growing.
Personally I’d like to be able to stream BBCi Radio Player in Roon. I can’t but i will just use Chrome cast for this. I’ll just have to mix and match until the day I can.
Roon is evolving and we just have to give them time. This is groundbreaking stuff.

1 Like

Just run LMS as well and you can use IPlayer and Chromecast.

Kind of off topic, but you actually can add BBC iplayer radio stations, just add the URLs to your radio section for example -

Radio 2
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/llnw/bbc_radio_two.m3u8

Radio 3
http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio3_mf_p

6Music
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/llnw/bbc_6music.m3u8

Just google for whichever station - simulcast URL and you should find enough info.

As for Chromecast support, it would be amazing. However, Chromecast generally streams stuff from the internet, not from your LAN. Roon plays stuff from your LAN. Chromecast CAN stream stuff from your LAN, but for some reason, this always seems to be done by flaky third party apps. There must be a reason behind this, I would be interested to know. Perhaps Roon could be the first non flaky third party app for Chromecast… :wink: