Chromecast Audio as endpoint? [Delivered; B333]

Same here, Chromecast audio.

I purchased Chromecast Audio (to stream Qobuz!). The sound quality was excellent, however it is not gapless - so therefore not fit for my purposes, which is mostly listening to classical music. I hope any Roon implementation deals with the gapless problem. (Of course, integration with Qobuz would be my preferred solution!).

Hi Paul,

I didn’t think Chromecast was either gapped or gapless. It depends what control software you are using.

As a band-aid whilst roon develops a solution, several here are using “aircast” set up as a roon airplay audio device. There is a link somewhere in this thread. There are limitations and it’s a bit clunky but it does the job until roon delivers something more integrated. Some have also also got JRiver’s WDM driver working as a roon audio device but that seems to have been a bit more hit and miss.

I just double checked with a few live albums from my local library and they played gapless fine. I don’t use streaming services but I saw a lot on the web that at some point anyway neither Qobuz or Tidal played gapless. Was that ever fixed?

I can’t speak for Qobuz, but I know that when I had the cheaper subscription to TIDAL, it did not play gapless. Upgrading the subscription gave me gapless playback.

Ok, thanks, maybe someone knows about Quobuz?

The main limitation with this aircast bandaid is I cannot get DSP in roon to work. I don’t use DSP very much but I do find benefits with live MP3 bootlegs. But what I can do is hardware up-sample:

roon → aircast-> Chromeacst → TV HDMI in → TV Optical out → Upsampling DAC → Analogue Out

We are in the middle of a lengthy move and the main system is in storage. Chromecast has been a life saver.

Qobuz plays gapless in the Iphone app (Iphone 6s), in the MacOS app (MacMini 2014, latest HiSierra update), not on my IPad Mini 2 (a little but disturbing gap of maybe 100ms, with latest iOS, latest Qobuz app installed). No gapless play with the Qobuz app to a Chromecast audio on any Apple device. But gapless play over airplay where gapless play worked on local play (iphone and macmini). Qobuz gapless play works well in Spark, the app for serving Devialet Phantoms and Dialog. I tested with a Hires album from Danill Trifinov that requires gapless play as the album is mostly cut in 30“ slices. I conclude from this that a well integrated Qobuz in Roon could work gapless since it does in Spark the Devialet software not everybody likes, but plays reliably hires content.

Maybe someone has tried this scenario with aircast to kludge Qobuz gapless over Chromecast?

2 x Chromecast audio here.
Would happily liberate at least one Odroid C2-based endpoint for other duties if the Chromecast were Roon-enabled.

There’s zero chance I will you use Roon until you support ChromeCast. I can’t understand why don’t support it yet. The API has been open since the beginning. Is there a technical problem? When will you have a prototype ready? I’m can test, if you need. I have Android, iOS, OS X, Windows, and Linux all running in my house.

I have:
ChromeCast
ChromeCast 4k
ChromeCast Audio
Nvidia Sheild

I also use AirPlay - which provides reasonable sound quality, and I can live with it. However, to my ears, it just does not sound as good as Chromecast - and that is with CD quality albums. Of course, AirPlay downsamples HiRes.

Playing Deezer HiFi through Chromecast Audio and optical out into my system at the moment, sounds fantastic. Also use Nvidia Shield.

Chromecast
Chromecast audio

Just using simple Chromecast Audio.

This would be so great. I am using the original CC and CCAs as well as Google Homes in bedroom and patio areas.

I am currently using aircast running on a windows machine as a proxy to allow Roon to see the CCAs as airplay endpoints. It is a little kludgey but generally works well.

AJ

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Chromecast Sample Rates?

Chromecast Support is live!

5 Likes