Chromecast Audio as endpoint? [Delivered; B333]

Absolutely. It’s value for money is beyond question and it has good sound quality. For value, convenience, quality and versatility, there’s little to beast it at this current time.I bought mine for £15, so a complete bargain!! I also have little money to spend on hifi so for multi room duties it’s perfect. I’d prefer it to messing with a Pi( which I’ve done in the past)

Just wondering if there was any view of progress posted, since the thread was started in Sept 2015 :sunglasses: :innocent::hushed:

Ten days ago, using my magic “scroll up” superpower:

This would be great if you could get it sanctioned. And it’s good to hear that it is do-able.

Hope CCA support happens soon. In my opinion way more stable than Airplay…no drop outs.

Oh, that sounds complicated.

From what I have seen, Google are not known for their flexibility, so it sounds like it could be a long wait!

Thanks for the summary update though :slight_smile:

Don’t suppose there is any chance of releasing beta’s without causing issues? So we could use the goodness :grin:

To my surprise, the Spotify desktop app (OS X) allows for casting to the Chromecast Audio, so there’s hope, I guess.

Are you sure about this? I ask this because the Spotify desktop app/program for windows lets you see the chromecast audio (CCA) as an available device for playback only when it has already been selected as the playback device using the iOS Spotify app or the Android Spotify app. Without prior iOS or Android intervention with the CCA, the windows desktop app will not see the CCA.

1 Like

That’s such a weird halfway house I had not even thought about it – but I just tried and I guess you’re right.

Oh well – live and learn.

It could be a good temporary workaround.
Maybe even scripted, like iOS/Android seeing the CC, reporting it to RoonServer and Roonserver displaying it for all devices.

LMS uses a system called Castbridge.Works well. There’s a similar software plug in for AirPlay.

I’m hoping it’ll be out by roon 1.3.

Did I miss any further updates, as I don’t have the magic “scroll up” superpower, as you do :grin:

The Chromecast audio is on sale @ Currys for £20.00 at the moment. I picked up three.

Is that wishful thinking or do you have other uses for them? :slight_smile:

(Thanks for the tip btw)

They are replacing the airplays we have. And is not wishful thinking something everyone loves to do?

1 Like

Rogue Amoeba is doing something interesting with Airfoil

From their blog:

Back in March, we announced that our plans to support Chromecast devices in Airfoil. Users want to be able to send audio from their computers to their Chromecast devices, and we want to help. Just over a month ago, we showed off this working in internal builds. We’re currently wrapping up the last work on it, and so far it has been working quite well! Before our official release, however, we’re hoping to get some help stress-testing this new functionality. Interested?

I might just play around with this until roon has chromecast support.

I have not used any of their software, but it looks as though the Airfoil iOS/Android app acts as a remote (like roon), so I do wonder how they are able to do this seeing as the Google cast SDK is not sanctioned for Desktop (Mac, windows and so on).

I used Airfoil years ago to pass ITunes from a computer upstairs to my hifi. Worked quite well though not without glitches.

Darn. I did suspect it wouldn’t be perfect. I’m finding the chromecast audios very good indeed; i replaced all the airplays in the house.

1 Like

They are very good and an inexpensive way of putting together a god quality multi room system. Some have criticised the treble and referred to jitter levels but through my system and my friend’s hi end system, there is no sign of any of these nastiest. More than a bargain, I think.