Chromecast Audio as endpoint? [Delivered; B333]

That sounds like a good stopgap solution! what did you determine the sample rate should be at for the DSP > Airfoil route?

Airfoil appears to always send audio to a Chromecast as 24/48. Makes sense as it needs to support the video Chromecasts and they are limited to 24/48.

I have Roon set to convert everything to this before playback on the device airfoil is capturing.

Any update on this? Seems long overdue that Roon should support CCA! I’m on a 60-day Roon trial right now but this would make it a no-brainer!

1 Like

Yeah. Whats the deal here? This should exist already. Dont be like apple. We want to be able to stream music to our CCA already.

I do not think Roon is holding things up. Much more likely is getting Google’s agreement to letting this happen.

I thought Chromecast is open source…?

See Danny’s in this topic:

1 Like

I’m sure everyone’s right that its Google’s fault and not Roon’s fault but its still annoying - this should be easy to do and google should be happy to help them do it.

1 Like

There is a Chromecast SDK for some platforms, but only mobile. Chrome is open source, but the Cast SDK isn’t open source.

Spotify handles this by allowing Casting on iOS and android, but not on desktop. Roon doesn’t want to do this, it’s a suboptimal user experience.

Here’s a thought. Why not implement it in the Android and iOS apps. You won’t be able to use it from the core, but that isn’t where I need Chromecast but around the rest of the house. Which can be connected via your Android/iOS remote. Isn’t that what Plex does?

1 Like

I am fairly sure (but unable to check this for a few days) that once casting has been selected from a iOS or Android device, the PC desktop program will then not only ‘see’ the Chromecast Audio as the playback device but can also be used to switch back and forth to and from the Chromecast Audio device. That is how my PC setup works with Spotify anyway. Presumably MAC OS will work the same way. I would prefer it for Roon to implement this amount of functionality while continuing to discuss ‘full’ functionality with Google.

2 Likes

That architecture would be horrible. If you queued up three songs and turned off your phone during song 1, songs 2 & 3 would never play.

I agree that sort of operation would be intolerable. However I am not sure that that is what happens casting from Spotify to one or more Chromecast Audio (CCA) devices. i seem to remember that once a number of items are queued up to play, all controlling devices can be completely switched off, and the queued songs continue playing via the CCA alone. Alternatively any or all remote controller(s) can be switched back on and used to intercede with the queue. I cannot verify this functionality ATM but will be able to in a few days time. As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread my main gripe with the CCA is lack of gapless playback which you have said will not be a problem for Roon as Roon will not send files to the CCA.

Is this likely to work with all Chromecast devices? Using a CC or CCU would be an easy way to get multichannel into the living room sound system.

Well I am back home now, but have come across some strange behaviour with Spotify and casting to the CCA. I think the latest Google Cast update and / or the Spotify update may have introduced some bugs into how casting works. So I am unable to verify my recollection of how casting using the PC used to work. ATM casting from Spotify seems totally screwed up, even when the PC is not in the loop.

Weirdly casting to the CCA continues to play via the CCA even when the output is commanded to revert to an Android tablet running Spotify. It carries on playing on the CCA even when the Spotify app on the Android tablet is playing a completely different (newly edited) play queue - very weird. The CCA also continues to play its play queue after the Android tablet (playing a different play queue) has been switched off.

I think that as and when Roon has a solution, it would be nice to have the functionality I alluded to in my last post. In other words each Roon remote should be able to intercede with the play queue, and any intercession from one particular remote, shows up on any other remote being used.

Any updates on this? This would really tie my whole house together in a big way. You would think that if BubbleUPNP, a $5 app, can handle CCA Roon should be able to figure this out. I don’t mean to come off as obnoxious here and I’m def not trying to be. I’m just saying that there can’t be that big of a technical issue.

2 Likes

Roon wants to implement playback via the CCA across all platforms. Also Roon says that their implementation will playback gaplessly. The only reason Bubble uPnP works is because the Android platform is designed to cast, whereas the PC and MAC (Linux?) are not. Check whether your setup plays Dark Side of the Moon gaplessly, because I do not believe it will.

All that aside, it is not the technical aspects which are delaying this, but getting agreement with Google to allow it to happen.

If we’re waiting for Google, this could take a while. Maybe we should all chip in to buy Larry a one year subscription to Roon???

1 Like

LOL. Careful. He may end up liking it too much and buys Roon…

Yes - I’m sure the guys at Roon would hate us forever for that.

Better question - if Google did buy it how long would it take them to license CCA?