Chromecast Audio as endpoint? [Delivered; B333]

I wasn’t thinking of the big plus for the Roon guys financially. I’d be more worried about my Roon experience going backwards :scream:

1 Like

Hi David,

I don’t think you will get any updates from Roon about the dev on this. It’s been stated many times that the guys don’t like to make specific comments about the dev going on behind the scenes, and it’s been a bit of a stretch for them to even acknowledge items as being “on the roadmap”.

I’m really pleased that Danny has been more vocal lately about what’s coming, but he and the guys at Roon are worried about giving specifics away as hopes are raised sometimes falsely for benign reasons and it just leads to frustrations and upset later on when things take longer than expected or resources are directed elsewhere and sub-projects get shelved,etc

I too would like the Chromecast option, as I have a couple of pucks redundant and would like to re-engage them again :-), but am happy to sit back for the moment and enjoy the Roon experience knowing that further great things are coming, including Chromecast integration at some point.

3 Likes

I noticed that the new Nad integrateds have Chromecast integration. Interesting move.

5 Likes

This is becoming a standard that will be used on more and more things over time - this is why its important that we get Roon integration, and presumably this is why Google should be eager for this to work, if they are paying attention.

2 Likes

Appears that VLC 3.0 has reverse-engineered the Cast SDK and supports it for casting video directly from VLC.

I totally understand that the Roon folks would not want to support this or add such a fragile hack to a paid product, but they did reverse-engineer parts of Airplay.

10 posts were split to a new topic: Chrome Cast Audio Stream + Roon

Any news on Chromecast integration ? With Google moving into the smart speaker arena, it would open up a low cost / low hassle end point solution (albeit with limited resolution)

3 Likes

LMS have managed to integrate Chromecast via a plug in. Works well.

1 Like

Interesting, how would that integrate with Roon - LMS emulator on core ?

@danny : any update on Chromecast as an endpoint ? Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed on the Chromecast front.

When researching AirPlay powered speakers for a non critical listening location, I found that the network streaming speaker market increasingly is bifurcating into AirPlay and Chromecast, the latter as the up and comer. Chromecast is no longer limited to the Google hardware dongles but is built in to more and more components, speakers, TVs, etc.

Roon does not need to make RAAT streaming available on Chromecast – that would require extremely unlikely cooperation from Google. Just make Chromecast streaming another networked alternative alongside AirPlay and HQPlayer NAA.

AJ

2 Likes

I would love cast support. I have a few chromecast audio devices, two nvidia shields and quite a few google home speakers as well as some vizio devices here that all support the tech. It would be terrific to have Roon output allover …

Tangentially related…

I’m waiting to see the specs of the new LG ThinQ smart speakers. Google Assistant built in (and I guess Chromecast support) and designed in conjunction with Meridian. Have to say I am thoroughly enjoying my Chromecast tech dotted around the home :slight_smile:

Brand new user here; we are presently trialing Roon. I just posted about Chromecast support on another thread, which I imagine will be merged here. Roon sees none of our Chromecast audio devices, which we often use to stream internet radio and background music when we don’t want to power up a big stereo system. Now that I have seen this thread, I think I have my answer.

Lack of Chromecast support out of the box is a glaring shortcoming in a not inexpensive music and streamer management software subscription. I frankly don’t want to cobble together a complex solution on paid software.

Our antiquated Logitech Media Server platform can easily integrate Chromecast devices via a third party plug in. Yes, LMS’ music management interface is crude and minimal. But it reaches the hardware. Third-party plug in developers had no problems creating solutions. And it’s free.

That Roon has been unable to develop a basic Chromecast audio capability for what appears to be going on three years now does not bode well. Not for $120/yr. Coupled with diminished Squeezebox display and control support (we can’t even power on and off the Squeezeboxes from Roon), we may not extend past the trial based on the limited hardware support. Hardware support is just as important as the fancy album and artist screenshots.

And I haven’t even touched on the lack of SiriusXM support, which is another kettle of fish.

It would be nice to get some update from Roon on this.
Tagging this as “on roadmap” and giving so few updates in over a year only generates frustration.

Perhaps you should only publicize that something is in your roadmap when you actually know it is feasible. Or find some other term: such as, “we are considering it”, or “we are going to look into it”. Here it seems you don’t even know whether it is feasible.

Some clarifications would be welcome.

2 Likes

+1 I really want Roon in more places …

1 Like

That’s perfectly possibble allready. It plays on android tablets and phones, on IOS devices, on squeezebox devices, on raspi’s, on any mac/windows computer. Not to mention a growing amount of turn key Roon ready devices. I can playback Roon allready in ten, oh no wait twelve locations at the same time if I want with the devices I have lying around. :thinking:But yeah, lack of chromecast support is making me rethink my subscription. I really need a thirteened playback area and allready have a chromecast so…

+1 for both Chomecast and Chromecast Audio.

My use case is work travel where the only realistic audio out is often some hotel TV speakers, or slightly better the aux on a simple clock/radio/CD portable many chains provide in room. I use Plex for this with an MP3 subset of my library on a work laptop. Cannot hear above about 10khz anymore so that works fine, but it would be great to use Roon UI / Radio / Shuffle etc.

Wouldn’t a simple bluetooth receiver be a much better solution instead of relying on quirky hotel wifi wich in lots of cases would not allow a streaming connection between your laptop and the chromecast.

With Chromecast I get English TV as well in parts of the world where I work where that is often not possible. For example, I am streaming Sky News now about 2.5 hours north of Copenhagen in a remote part of rural Denmark. Personally I have also never experienced any dropouts over hotel wifi with 320 MP3. So it is a very neat almost weightless road solution.

I actually used to cart around a Bose bluetooth until that was stolen from my hotel room in Lagos, Nigeria. The SQ was clearly better even to my cloth ears so Chromecast was initially a stop gap. But I have found it to be a very neat solution and a relief not to have the additional weight/worry of the more audiophile travel solution. I must admit that I hesitated precisely because of SQ but the reality is that typical for my age I cannot hear anything above 10khz and for background music Chromecast over hotel TV speakers is actually fine. Also, much to my surprise, It’s hit and miss but depending on model, wicking up the volume getting ready for a client dinner has proven not to be the complete audio disaster I was expecting.