Chromecast Audio dropouts

Actually, it would be quite surprising if they did that. Why do the work on a discontinued product? It works for the things the vast majority of their customers care about. “Support” will probably mean “continues to work with Google Home,” not “fix things we broke a long time ago and could have fixed if we cared.”

1 Like

Same issue. Chromecast with frequent cut outs and back in for a couple of seconds, several times per song, on 96hz and above content. There were some folks that claimed that the UGREEN ethernet adapter UGREEN Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast (available on Amazon) solved the problem. Is this still the case?

I understand that this appears to be a firmware issue, but some folks claimed that the adapter solved the problem. Would be great to see if there is confirmation of this. Would totally buy the ethernet adapter.

I run it on an Ethernet adaptor and there is no difference.

1 Like

It‘s a pity, and it will probably never be fixed (by Google). Do yourself a favor, throw it away to spare yourself the frustration, and get a Raspberry Pi with DietPi or RoPieee! I also purchased a CCA not long ago.

Thanks Derek, and by “no difference” I assume you mean that it still cuts out periodically within a song on 96hz content and above? Thanks in advance.

Yes. Still have dropouts @88 or 96 on Ethernet. Also the dropouts are only on the digital out. Analog out plays fine. The one i use as a transport i downsample to 44/48. The ones i use the analog outs with it’s not necessary.

1 Like

Thanks much! That’s very helpful. With using the Analog outs, that would be using the Chromecast DAC, which I’m assuming isn’t great. I will try downsampling when plugged into toslink to 48. Any comment on the sound of the DAC when using analog out? Does it sound good? Thanks again.

Its not $10000-speakers-good lol but the analog outs are fine for plenty of applications (I use a couple with powered speakers in my workout room and garage.)

I also use the analogs fed to my Magni/Senn 6xx combo and it sounds very good. I use the digital out downsampled to 48/44 to feed my main system when I want to use grouped speakers

Until the 88/96 issue is fixed, I wouldn’t use it for my “serious” listening, but for everything else the workarounds aren’t dire, just annoying.

2 Likes

CCA update from google

Hi everybody,

I’m sorry for the delayed updated regarding this issue. The Chromecast team is still looking into a long term solution, but things are taking longer than expected. A way that you can greatly help our team is to reproduce the issue and file a feedback report using the Google Home app. In the description section, please include the unique ID “CCT3 - CCA Dropout” along with a list of apps you’re attempting to cast.

Thanks in advance for all your patience.

1 Like

Hi there,

Has there been any update from the chromecast team? I recently subscribed to a yearly member to check out Roon and I am experiencing the same issues on my CCA.

Only updates are on that same thread. They did release anew firmware but it did not seem to resolve the issue.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Chromecast Audio having dropouts with 44.1 flac files analog out

Hi there,
I am new to Roon since February and I really enjoy using Roon : it’s a nice software and excellent philosophy for listening to music.

I got a Google Chromecast Audio recently and I am experiencing dropouts using the optical output above 48khz (that means 88Khz and above). Since yesterday the firmware has change to a preview program version 1.39151425​ which does not change anything. Dropouts appear as frequent as before.

I am running Roon server 1.6 on a Synology DS918 with 16TB and a 1 TB SSD for the Roon Database (>1000 albums with > 16000 tracks). Everything works very well on my main system (Bluesound node2i and Heed Abacus DAC). Also I have a subscription to Qobuz Sublime+ with no issues.

Also I am able to use Roon away as I set-up a VPN server on the synology DS918. Works perfectly on MacOS and on iPhone 5S on wifi or 4G connexions. (I have 1GB (800MB/200MB) optical fibre connection at home).

Hope this will help.
Jean-Christophe (based in Alsace, France)

As you’ve no-doubt read above, Google’s CCA will not deliver a stutter/gap-free TOSLINK signal/stream at 96khz.
You have to change the downsampling options in Roon (DSP on CCA) to downsample to anything below 88.2khz. I can get 88.2khz and anything less than that to work fine.
Apparently, it’s a Google CCA firmware issue, that Google have been made aware of. However, now that the CCA has been discontinued, don’t expect a fix from Google any time soon, or at all :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

And just where can that setting be found exactly, Martin?

If you go the DSP settings for the CCA in Roon, you can set the maximum sampling rates sent to the CCA.

1 Like

1 Like

I find it interesting that none of these settings effects MQA for me. MQA still comes through at 96. Everything else is fixed with this though.

But my pre-amp display reads out at PCM 96kHz