Chromecasts were working, now they're not

After the factory reset, did you add them to your Google Home app?

Hi @J_B,

Can you confirm you set the Chromecasts up again via the Google Home app after resetting them?

Also, it might be helpful if you could share a few screenshots of your QNAP firewall settings.

Yes, I set them up again and they worked everywhere else except Roon.

I donā€™t have a separate firewall set up for the qnap that I know of; however, maybe I donā€™t have the correct ports open on my router? Any suggestions on which ports are needed there?

If itā€™s not that and I do have a hidden firewall on the QNAP. Could you please direct me where to look in the settings to disable/modify it?

Hi @J_B,

I am not aware of any different firewalls on the QNAP. Iā€™m not quite sure where exactly we could look next, have you tried disabling any QNAP apps that are not related to Roon? I wonder if any other apps are interfering with the QNAPs ability to locate the Chromecasts.

Ok, I stopped Plex and rebooted and they reappeared! Any idea as to why Plex would interfere? Should I change some ports in Plex?

1 Like

Hi @J_B,

Thanks for letting me know. There have been a few reports of Plex interfering with Roon on Linux environments but this is the first report Iā€™m seeing of QNAP.

Yes, I would advise changing Plexā€™s port to make sure that itā€™s not using port 1900. Does that help?

The only port I can see that I can configure is 32400.

Hi @J_B,

Can you try reinstalling the Plex app or seeing if there is another place you can configure the port in the settings? From reading this other forum topic, you might be able to just disable DNLA and that should in theory stop Plex from using port 1900, although I am not sure if you have any DNLA devices you need to use in your setup.

So I already had the DLNA server in Plex disabled. However, I did have the setting ā€œDLNA server timeline reportingā€ selected for some reason. I turned this off so maybe that was the culprit? Iā€™ll see how things fare with this set-up and Plex turned on. Currently I can still see my Chromecasts with Plex enabled but that was the case before too then they suddenly disappeared. Letā€™s wait to see if this happens again.

1 Like

I have two ASUS routers RT-AC88U and RT-AC68U configured with AiMesh.

My Google Nest Mini would disappear from Roon all the time, requiring the network to be rebooted. Happened again and again.

Roon Core is on a QNAP connected to the 68 and the Nest Mini was connected to the 88.

Initially the Nest Mini was on the 5G network, but reconfiguring it to the 2.4G network has solved the issue for me.

I read on a networking forum that ASUS may have issues with multicast between the 2.4G and 5G networks. Thatā€™s what prompted me to make the change.

I have two routers too, one AC66U and one N66U. The closer one that Iā€™m connected to is the N-66U but Iā€™m not connected to the 5G network but rather the 2.4G one.

So far Iā€™m still able to see the Chromecasts but time will tellā€¦

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.