Cirrus7 nimbus v3 mini-PC + ROCK

anyone have experience with the cirrus7 nimbus v3 with the i7-8700T processor and ROCK? informed opinions also highly welcomed as to its suitability as a ROCK server.

note this is a mini-PC build rather than a NUC.

https://www.cirrus7.com/mini-desktop/cirrus7-nimbus-v3.html (translated)

the higher 35W TDP is fine as i would use optical isolation just before the DAC to eliminate all upstream electrical noise rather than an LPS to the computer.

at a later time i might install windows OS and run as a roon core server with HQPlayer. this would also be a plan B should ROCK cease to be compatible with the nimbus v3 at some point in the future.

The above is a thread about the Asus motherboard but the thread starter did not use ROCK. However I think ROCK should be OK. I am using it on a 310 motherboard.

I got this from QuietPC in the UK recently, to run Ubuntu Server for my Roon Core (I prefer to mess with my own OS install than ROCK):

Item Price Each Qty Total
Quiet PC UltraNUC Pro 7 Fanless
$703.01 1 $703.01
Configured as follows:

· Akasa Newton S7D Fanless NUC Chassis

· Intel 7th Gen NUC Core i5-7300U, NUC7I5DNHE, M.2 and 2.5in Drive

· Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 SODIMM 2400MHz Memory

· WD Green 120GB M.2 SATA SSD (545/465)

I had been looking at the Cirrus (great looks) but ordering from the US was easier with QuietPC UK, and the cost was quite a bit lower anway.

Strangely, there are no good pre-assembled fanless NUC sources in the US.

thanks for the thread link – very nice build. although not as knowledgable as the thread OP, it is tempting to give something like that a try… provided, there were a script/recipe to follow… :upside_down_face:

in any event, good to know the asus h310t motherboard has been successfully used with roon – albeit roon core server on top of a linux OS.

thanks - i have also been looking at the quiet PC NUC fanless. good to know it has worked for you and that ubuntu server is an option to run a roon core.

and yes - it is quite strange there a not many fanless NUC options in the US.

Hello
Bought a few weeks ago the Cirrus Nimbus v3, i3-9100t, with 16gb RAM and threw in it a 2tb SSD.
Works great. Obviously super silent and lightning fast with a 20k tracks library.
I don’t do up sampling but much more responsive than my i5 2014 Mac mini.
And it is “beautiful” (to the extent it can apply to a fanless PC).
Also, the seller pre installed for me ROCK (or MOCK?) as it is compatible with it. So I just had to plug it to my network.
Hope that helps.

@aKnyght
I built my own silent computer based on a Streacom FC5 housing. It’s so much fun building your own computer! Installing Linux/Debian is not plug and play, but you don’t need to be an expert to install a base system, install the packages (dependencies) for ROON and run the ROON installer. Then you don’t have to worry about compatibility with ROCK. I’m sure there are a lot of forum members willing to help. In the future I want to built a new computer based on an HDPLEX housing. Great stuff!

2 Likes

yes, and choosing each part means you can use parts which far exceed any pre-built computers.

your are so right – i had a tremendous amount of fun building my audio transport to run ROCK.

this is the solution i ended up building which used an HDPLEX chasis. it has worked flawlessly and the SQ is superb, particularly after adding the fiber networking

1 Like